When testing an SFX supply, I am always interested to see how companies can pack components into such a small unit. More surprisingly is seeing how far they can go under a real-world loading. As I always say, I would never recommend pushing a supply to its rated limit as this will increase wear and omit the efficiency of the unit. This, however, is proof positive that the Dagger Pro 650W Gold SFX can meet the needs of a reliable small form factor build; however, don't push it as far as we did.
What we like about the Dagger Pro 650W Gold SFX is, first and foremost, the price. The price point makes this one of the most inexpensive of the SFX options at its class. The inclusion of dual EPS connectors is exciting and works well when we tested it. The fact that such a small unit can run passive at standard desktop loads is admirable.
As far as dislikes, it is a tough nut to crack for the Dagger Pro as it does everything it should. The only detriment would be that I could not find a short cable kit available for the unit, and with small form factor builds, I think an optional cable kit is a welcome addition for builders similar to what we see from SilverStone.
At the price point of $114.99, the Dagger pro is a leader in its class. It performs as it should, has the necessary connectors to support its output rating, and does so while staying at a max recorded temperature of 40C at the exhaust side.
FSP has made a robust Power supply for small form factor fans or even those looking to fit a smaller unit into their more massive build. The Dagger Pro SFX does its job well and has a 7-year warranty to ensure if it has an issue, you are covered.
Shannon's Power Supply Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (buy from Amazon)
- CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (buy from Amazon)
- Cooler: Custom Alphacool CPU Liquid Cooling (buy from Amazon)
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz 32GB (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN V (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN Xp Collectors Edition (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti (buy from Amazon)
- Storage: SanDisk M.2 256GB
- Power Supply: FSP Dagger Pro 650W Gold SFX (buy from Amazon)
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (buy from Amazon)
Last updated: Nov 27, 2019 at 06:11 am CST
The Bottom Line
FSP delivers a robust SFX solution in the Dagger Pro 650W Gold SFX power supply. It handles a full system sustained load while keeping cool and manageable. The Dagger Pro is a solid choice for any SFF build.