As home networking has evolved over the last decade, nothing has brought Wi-Fi up to speed more than 802.11ac. With Wi-Fi 5 as they now call it, we saw new technologies like MU-MIMO, Beamforming, Mesh along with Wave 2 allow more users and more overall throughput on consumer platforms. With that said, 802.11ac is at its end of life, and while many vendors will continue to push new solutions to market, the focus has now come to getting the cost down, so everyone can upgrade.
802.11ac was really the driving technology behind opening up our homes for DIY security, smart home functionality and just allowing more devices to connect and communicate at once. With 802.11ax or Wi-Fi 6 this is the first generation to be designed around the current atmosphere of connectivity, so while we will have increased throughput as per usual, we will also see bi-directional MU-MIMO and 1024QAM at work along with OFDMA which will increase the efficiency of the Router or Aps when deployed in a dense environment.
August 30th, 2017, ASUS announced its first 802.11ax platform, the RT-AX88U. Today, we have this unit in house for review. That being said, we currently have no client devices for 802.11ax so while performance will be tested, it will be up to current generation standard with the Intel 9260 160MHz 802.11ac solution. Getting into the AX88U, design follows last year's AC88U with a new colorway of black and gold.
This is a Broadcom platform with the BCM49408 at the heart, a four core SoC operating at 1.8GHz paired with 1GB of memory and 256 MB of flash memory. This 4x4 design is powered by the BCM43684 Radio offering 1148Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 4804Mbps on the 5GHz band. Adding to this we have an eight-port switch with LACP and Link Aggregation capabilities along with two USB 3.0 ports.
MSRP of the ASUS RT-AX88U comes in at $349.99 with a one-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual-Band WiFi Router, Aiprotection Lifetime Security by Trend Micro, Aimesh Compatible for Mesh WiFi System, Next-Gen WiFi 6, Wireless 802.11Ax, 8 X Gigabit LAN Ports retails for $289.99 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS RT-AX88U Wi-Fi 6 Router retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [ASUS RT-AX88U Wi-Fi 6 Router]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Web Management]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- THQ Nordic's classics coming to cloud streaming platforms
- THQ Nordic's net sales spike by 500%
- Metro dev 4A Games is making new AAA project
- Free copy of The Sims 4 is available on Origin until May 28
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons will debut to the Switch May 28
- PNY Elite 512GB microSD Review
- ADATA XPG Spectrix D60G DDR4-3000 32GB Memory Kit Review
- ASUS Prime Z390-A Owners or CS Plz help!
- Plugable USB-C Cube Docking Station Review
- ASrock Z170 extreme7+ post issues code error 35 and 19
- CCP Games Brings EVE Invasion World Tour to Australia This Weekend for EVE Down Under
- Just Cause 4: Los Demonios Announced
- Relive The American Revolution In Assassin's Creed III Remastered, Available Now On Nintendo Switch
- Local Co-Op Game, 'Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes', Now Available For Oculus Quest
- FSP Leads the Way to AIoT and 5G at Computex 2019