Overclocking and Power Consumption
The CPUs can both overclock over 4GHz, although we only hit 4.1GHz with the 2970WX while the 2920X hit 4.2GHz. We think the 2970WX was throttling due to its lower handbrake results compared to the 2920X; it was 10FPS slower. We also saw some very high temperatures at the same voltage on the same motherboard, that's mostly due to the increased current to the increased core count, but that will also make it a much harder CPU to overclock and cool. We set 1.35v on each, LLC on auto, and we increased the current capability to 140% on our ASUS motherboard. We set memory to D.O.C.P and manually set ratios in the UEFI.
The new Ryzen Master 1.5 will allow you to overclock the CPU in Windows easily and it shows you the best cores; gold star>silver star>silver circle>nothing. Ryzen Master is also where you control things like Legacy Compatibility Mode and Dynamic Local Mode and memory Access Mode. It's also where you find Creator Mode and Game Mode.
We expected the power consumption of the 250W 2970WX to be quite high, and it was but not too high, and the power consumption of the 180W 2920X was in line with what was expected.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bungie: Activision let us do awesome things with Destiny
- Disney+ includes free 4K streaming, supports 4 simultaneous streams
- Bandai Namco: Epic Store exclusivity isn't our vision
- El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie announced, drops October 11 on Netflix
- The best destruction physics in a game EVER, also features ray tracing
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best