Overclocking and Power Consumption
The CPUs can both overclock over 4GHz, although we only hit 4.1GHz with the 2970WX while the 2920X hit 4.2GHz. We think the 2970WX was throttling due to its lower handbrake results compared to the 2920X; it was 10FPS slower. We also saw some very high temperatures at the same voltage on the same motherboard, that's mostly due to the increased current to the increased core count, but that will also make it a much harder CPU to overclock and cool. We set 1.35v on each, LLC on auto, and we increased the current capability to 140% on our ASUS motherboard. We set memory to D.O.C.P and manually set ratios in the UEFI.
The new Ryzen Master 1.5 will allow you to overclock the CPU in Windows easily and it shows you the best cores; gold star>silver star>silver circle>nothing. Ryzen Master is also where you control things like Legacy Compatibility Mode and Dynamic Local Mode and memory Access Mode. It's also where you find Creator Mode and Game Mode.
We expected the power consumption of the 250W 2970WX to be quite high, and it was but not too high, and the power consumption of the 180W 2920X was in line with what was expected.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 4 [Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark & More]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V & More]
- Page 7 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 8 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]