Release Date: October 5, 2018
Platform: PS4 (Reviewed), Xbox One, PC
Genre: Action, Adventure, Open-World
For the longest time, I've wanted two things in the Assassin's Creed franchise: a game centered around the splendor of ancient Hellenistic Egypt, and a game that tapped the wonders of ancient Greece. Those dreams came to be in the form of some of the best-designed and purely enjoyable entertainment experiences in today's modern landscape, and it's the latter we'll be talking about today.
There's magic in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey--so much in fact that I'm starting to think Ubisoft employs mystical wizards instead of developers. Odyssey is in-fact an odyssey. The very word conjures up a grand sweeping adventure across the exotic and craggy isles of Greece itself, sails high and ship cutting through the blue Aegean, with gods, psirens and terrifying minotaurs laying in wait. That's really what Odyssey is; your personal journey across a veritable playground that blurs history with myth and fact with legend to create this mystifying expedition. The game stimulates your imagination in so many ways (at least it did mine) and really taps that inner curiosity that's sparked by museums or universities. There's a very real hunger to know and see more and Ubisoft has provided a sumptuous banquet for our minds.
That feeling of Herculean enterprise is ever-present in Odyssey. Apart from the action-based mechanics which make you feel like a god-king (or -queen) armed with Leonidas' spear, the world itself is shrouded in exotic myth. Sometimes you'll see ruins of a colossal snake at a temple or an impossibly large boar to drive this point home, but other times it's the sheer brilliance and beauty of cities like Violent-Crowned Athens that leave you spellbound.
There's so much to see, so much to explore, so much to do...but it's all paced in a way that isn't necessarily overwhelming but appeals to your natural open-world sensibilities. The world is absolutely infused with this sense of endless possibility, of adventure waiting around the next corner, all awash in a sea of grandiose visuals that immerse you in an ancient world.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, The Achilles of Games retails for $XXX at Amazon.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA to host Reddit 'Ask Me Anything!' Aug 26th, Flat Earthers rally
- NASA's ISS upgraded, now sends/receives data at 75 megabytes a second
- The 'Lady and the Tramp' live-action remake airs on Disney+, Nov 12th
- Clickbait is real, Netflix thriller looks at dark side of social media
- President Trump wants to NUKE HURRICANES to stop them hitting the US
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best