The Apacer Z280 is another in a lengthy list of Phison E7 powered SSDs to cross our bench. We've become fond of E7 controlled SSDs for several reasons. E7 Powered SSDs typically deliver an excellent SSD experience for less money than the competition. When you buy an Apacer Z280 SSD you are getting the goodness of an MLC flash array at TLC prices.
To this point, the Z280 is the first Phison E7 powered SSD we've reviewed that doesn't have an exposed controller die. We don't know if the capped die hurts or helps thermal dissipation, but we don't usually have thermal throttling issues with the E7 controller if it is running in a desktop computer with some airflow. The E7 controller does tend to heat up a bit more than others during write-intensive workloads, but we have yet to trigger thermal throttling which kicks in at 80c.
The Phison PS5007-E7 (or E7) is designed for high-performance computing applications. The E7 supports up to 8-channels in its NAND Flash interface so it is very fast. Multiple features are built into the Phison E7 controller to ensure stability and reliability. These features include SmartECC which reconstructs defective/faulty pages when regular ECC fails,
SmartRefresh monitors block ECC health status and refresh blocks periodically to improve data retention and SmartFlush minimizes time data spends in cache to ensure data retention in the event of power loss. Fast and reliable is what Phison's E7 controller is all about.
Let's get the Apacer Z280 on the bench and see how it does.
The Apacer Z280 M.2 NVMe SSD is available in three capacities: 120GB, 240GB and 480GB. The 240GB model we have on the bench today sports the following specifications:
- Sequential Read: up to 2,750 MB/s
- Sequential Write: up to 1,500 MB/s
- Max 4K Random Read Speed: not listed
- Max 4K Random Write Speed: not listed
- Endurance: up to 349 TBW
- MTBF: 2 Million Hours
- Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty
- Garbage Collection
The 240GB Apacer Z280 is currently selling at Newegg for the outstanding price of: $123.00
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & Drive Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks – ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (OS) - Vantage, PCMark 7, PCMark 8 & SYSmark 2014 SE]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - IOPS, Response & Transfer Rate]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Luigi's Balloon World/new outfits for Super Mario Odyssey
- Nintendo Switch adds another 18 new games in a week
- Paladins remove their loot box system after community uproar
- New Battlefield title will be available at EA PLAY 2018
- Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Trilogy coming to Nintendo Switch
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard
- Amped Wireless Titan AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Reeven NAIA 240 CPU Cooler Review
- For Sale 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 8 64GB Brand New Unlocked $2,795
- Ryzen (1000-Series) Overclocking Guide
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit