Packaging and Overview
The motherboard's box is very similar to that of the Hero, and actually very similar to that of ASUS's other ROG products. The packaging is also top-notch, and the motherboard is well protected.
The accessory package includes four SATA6Gb/s, RGB extension cable, addressable RGB extension strip, three temperature probes, wafer cable, WIFI antennas, SLI HB bridge, Fan Extension card, Q-Connector, M.2 screws, bracket for fan card, ROG cable labels, ROG coaster, ROG logo plate sticker, ROG stickers, driver DVD, manuals.
ASUS put a total of twelve fan headers on the motherboard, and they also include a fan extension card for three extra fan headers and three extra temperature sensors. All fan headers all hybrid PWM/DC mode headers, but they aren't all the same. A new type of header called the Radiator header are grouped into groups of four and are all controlled as if they were one header. There are two groups of radiator headers, one is circled in red and the other in green.
The CPU header and CPU optional header are circled in blue (grouped control), a single chassis fan header is circled in orange, and a water pump header is circled in yellow. All headers are rated for 1A, except the pump header that supports up to 3A and runs full speed by default. The fan extension card header is circled in pink, and a temperature probe header is boxed in red. The motherboard has the same gun metal/black aesthetics as its predecessor, and lights up with RGB LEDs. The motherboard also has a backside shield to help reinforce the PCB.
The rear IO panel features Clear CMOS button, BIOS Flashback button, WIFI antenna, six USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports (one for keyboard and one for BIOS Flashback), USB 3.1 type-A, USB 3.1 type-C, Gbit LAN, and 7.1 gold-plated audio outputs. The rear IO panel shield is integrated into the motherboard, and the audio outputs light up in different colors.
The first and second gray x16 slots operate at x16/x0 or x8/x8 PCI-E 3.0. However, the M.2_2 slot shares bandwidth with the second x16 slot from the CPU. The last x16 slot is x4 PCI-E 2.0 and shares bandwidth with the three PCI-E 2.0 x1 slots. There is one M.2 slot under a heat sink that cools it, this M.2 slot doesn't share bandwidth with the second x16 slot, but is always x4 PCI-E 3.0.
There are right SATA6Gb/s ports from the FCH (AMD's X370 chipset), and a right angled USB 3.0 header. The second M.2 slot operates at x4 PCI-E 3.0 as well but will get its bandwidth from the second x16 PCI-E slot.
The motherboard features two CPU power connectors; one 8-pin and one 4-pin. The motherboard's 24-pin connector is angled at 90 degrees, something we haven't seen for a long time.
Overclocking features are plentiful! We get voltage read points, POST code display, LN2 mode jumper, Slow Mode switch, RSVD switch (cold boot bug prevention), a retry button (re-applies OC settings), a Safe Boot button (for when you don't want to clear CMOS), and we also get power and reset buttons. The motherboard is well equipped for liquid nitrogen overclocking. A USB 3.1 internal header sits below the 24-pin connector.
A water block sensor header indicates that EK has a custom water block for the motherboard with built-in RGBs and water leak sensors built in. One of the RGB LED headers are located at the top of the motherboard. At the bottom of the motherboard, we find a second USB 3.0 header, ROG Extension header (that doubles as a USB 2.0 internal header), and a TPM header.
We find our second RGB LED header and our addressable RGB LED header at the bottom of the motherboard. The motherboard also features headers for water cooling; a water flow rate header and two water temperature sensor headers are colored in white and located in the bottom right-hand corner of the motherboard.
A MOLEX power connector sits at the bottom of the motherboard to provide extra PCI-E power. The motherboard's heat sinks make excellent contact with the motherboard.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme (AMD X370) Motherboard retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme (AMD X370) Motherboard retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Crosshair VI Extreme Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 5 minutes of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's 'World of Light'
- Fury's rage showcased in two new Darksiders III trailers
- Marvel & Riot partner to release 'League of Legends' comics
- Players will unlock Smash Bros. Ultimate's roster rapidly
- Skyrim composer raises hand for Lord of The Rings TV show
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card