ADATA is all in with NVMe. The XPG SX8000 is ADATA's first NVMe SSD, and it comes in the most popular form factor - M.2 x 2280. ADATA went with SMI's SM2260 NVMe controller on the SX8000. We can't help but cringe a bit with this controller choice, due to our experience with it on Intel's 600p series. To this day, the 600p ranks as one of the lowest rated SSDs we've ever tested.
However, the SX8000 isn't handicapped like the 600p is. The 600p only used 6 of the SM2260's 8-channels, and more importantly, the SX8000 is powered by MLC flash instead of TLC flash like the 600p. Additionally, the XPG SX8000 features pSLC (pseudo-Single-Level-Cell) caching even though it is MLC powered. With this in mind, we expect that the SX8000 will not be a repeat of the hugely disappointing Intel 600p.
ADATA is buying the 3D MLC flash utilized on the SX8000 in wafers from Micron and packaging them in-house to reduce manufacturing costs. However, this doesn't appear to have reduced the end cost to below that of the competition. The SX8000 may have an advantage over some of the competition though. The XPG SX8000 comes with a five-year warranty, cloning software and a feature-rich toolbox.
ADATA is well known for exceptional memory products. The SX8000 is designated an XPG product by ADATA. When a product bears the XPG moniker, that means it is the best of the best that ADATA has to offer.
With pSLC boosted 3D MLC under the hood, the XPG SX8000 looks promising. Now, let's see how it performs on both Intel and AMD Ryzen platforms.
The ADATA XPG SX8000 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD is available in four capacities: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1TB. The 512GB XPG SX8000 we have on the bench today sports the following specifications:
- Sequential Read: up to 2,500 MB/s (CDM)
- Sequential Write: up to 1,100 MB/s (CDM)
- Max 4K Random Read Speed: up to 140,000 IOPS @ QD32
- Max 4K Random Write Speed: up to 150,000 IOPS @ QD32
- Endurance: 320TB
- MTBF: 2 Million Hours
- Warranty: 5-Year Limited Warranty
- Garbage Collection
UPDATE: The ADATA XPG SX8000 is currently selling for $209.00 at Amazon
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & Drive Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benches (OS) - Vantage, PCMark 7, PCMark 8 & SYSmark 2014 SE]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - IOPS, Response & Transfer Rate]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]