I think most gamers will remember when ASUS released their ROG Swift PG278Q, as it was the best gaming monitor (by far) at the time. It had a native resolution of 2560x1440 when most gaming monitors were still hitting the 1920x1080 ceiling - and a huge 144Hz refresh rate. It did all of this with NVIDIA's G-Sync technology sprinkled on top, inside of a mean-looking display that deserved a place on your desk.
Since then, we've seen the competition (mostly Acer and LG) up their game, with IPS panels becoming the norm. Well, ASUS hasn't been twiddling its thumbs, as we now have the new ROG Swift PG279Q that continues the great name that ASUS built for itself with the PG278Q.
What has ASUS done this time around? We have an IPS panel for one, but secondly - it has a default refresh rate of 144Hz that can be overclocked in the monitor settings to a huge 165Hz. There aren't many times that you'll really tell the difference between 144Hz and 165Hz - but for twitch shooters like CS: GO and the like - the difference is considerable.
ASUS has used the same 27-inch WQHD panel found in the first ROG Swift monitor, with the new PG279Q featuring a 2560x1440 native resolution, but it has been upgraded to an IPS panel. This provides far better color reproduction and image quality, with wide 178-degree viewing angles.
The 165Hz refresh rate is a world's first, and with NVIDIA's G-Sync technology to top it off, gaming on the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q should be nothing short of absolute gaming bliss.
Availability & Price
With the Acer Predator X34 UltraWide monitor coming in at $1290, it's a little expensive for most gamers - but the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q is a chunk cheaper at $799 on Newegg (currently with $100 off from its original $899 price). There's none in stock right now, and it's not even listed on Amazon (as of publishing time, the monitor is on Amazon at the same price as Newegg). Your results may vary, so you'll need to check your e-tailer/retailers.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" Screen LED-Lit Monitor for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" Screen LED-Lit Monitor retails for $799 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" Screen LED-Lit Monitor retails for £756 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Quick Specs, and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [Packaging & Detailed Look]
- Page 3 [Test System Configuration]
- Page 4 [On-Screen Display]
- Page 5 [Everyday Use & Gaming]
- Page 6 [Viewing Angles & Glare]
- Page 7 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Next-gen Xbox Scarlett development kit is called 'Anaconda'
- Detroit: Become Human sells 2 million+ units since May 2018
- Project Stream testers get free copy of AC: Odyssey
- Google's Project Stream is the future of gaming
- EA folds Battlefront II into its subscription services
- accentuate redress
- Vandexafil Ultra New Male Enhancement Formula! Gain
- ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 and Intel AC 9260 WiFi card
- Areca ARC-8050U3 USB-C RAID DAS Review
- Symbaroum: Yndaros - The Darkest Star expansion Released Today
- Enjoy the Winter Season of R.O.H.A.N.: Blood Feud
- Warlords Awakening release surprises for Christmas
- The Switchblade Christmas Update Is Out Now
- Great Britain & Ireland DLC Out Now For Railway Empire