Supermicro is a well-known company with a solid reputation for reliability and performance in the server ecosystem. Recently, Supermicro has brought to market a few consumer workstation boards that can overclock. The C7X99-OCE is one of these boards, and it is designed to fulfill the needs of consumers who need a server grade motherboard in a desktop or workstation. Supermicro is using their server design techniques and components to retrofit a single socket motherboard that supports both the Xeon and Core i7 families at the same time.
What is interesting about the C7X99-OCE is that it can also overclock. If you toss in a 5960X, the board will accept the CPU and unlock its overclocking features. The motherboard also features a UEFI with a GUI similar to that of the C7Z97-OCE board I reviewed a few months ago. So, let's see what happens when you use server design practices on a motherboard designed to overclock.
Here are the manufacturer specifications. The first board I saw with some sort of USB 3.1 claim was the C7Z97-OCE, and it used an ASMedia ASM1042 that could accept 2x PCI-E for 10Gbps of bandwidth for USB 3.1. Not only does Supermicro carry this practice over to their X99 motherboard, but they also used the chip twice for internal and back-panel USB 3.1 support (in the future, of course). While there aren't many USB ports on the back, there are dual Intel NICs and six USB 3.0 ports.
There are two versions of the C7X99-OCE, the C7X99-OCE and the C7X99-OCE-F. At the moment, the C7X99-OCE is $304 on Amazon, and the C7X99-OCE-F is $340. The "-F" version carries a VGA port that supports Supermicro's IPMI. However, most users using this board might only grab this motherboard for its build quality and design, so the VGA port with IPMI might not be useful to them.
PRICING: You can find the C7X99-OCE and C7X99-OCE-F for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the C7X99-OCE]
- Page 3 [C7X99-OCE Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 5 [Test Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook stock drops $50 billion in two days, biggest ever
- GeForce 391.24 WHQL drivers: Game Ready for Sea of Thieves
- The Matrix launches on 4K Blu-ray on May 22
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit