The Bottom Line
Nearly a year ago, we had the opportunity to take a look at the original mSATA to USB 3.0 enclosure from MyDigitalSSD. Since then, we have seen devices like the recently reviewed VisionTek mSATA adapter use a similar design. So today, we look at the next generation of mSATA enclosure from MyDigitalSSD, the BP4.
The Bulletproof 4 mSATA to USB 3.0 enclosure carries the same design characteristics of the OTG we reviewed a few months ago. This new design houses the latest ASMedia 1153e controller with UASP support included, marketing specifications of the BP4 allows for read/write speeds up to 500 MB/s and is compatible with modern Windows operating systems and OS X 10.8+.
MSRP of the MyDigitalSSD BP4 mSATA enclosure is set at $29.99 with a one-year warranty.
Packaging for the BP4 highlights features of the enclosure on the left with an actual size image to the right.
Scope of delivery for the BP4 includes a note from MyDigitalSSD, along with tools, USB 3.0 cable, and the enclosure.
Above, you can see we used our 128GB Toshiba mSATA SSD in the BP4.
Here we get a look at the finished package after installing the drive and buttoning up the enclosure. To the bottom right we have an activity LED.
To check the performance of the BP4, having already installed our Toshiba mSATA SSD, we fired up CDM. Sequential read came in at 402 MB/s, followed by 372 MB/s write. Of course, your results will vary depending on what drive you decide to install.
The MyDigitalSSD BP4 is a great low-cost solution for those that have a spare mSATA SSD handy that they would want to turn into an external storage solution. The build quality is quite good, with most of the durability coming from the plastics used in the design.
Performance of the BP4 with our Toshiba mSATA SSD was quite good. We were able to get 402 MB/s read out of it, along with 376 MB/s write.
If we compared the latest mSATA enclosure to the original from MyDigitalSSD, this latest solution is about twice the size of the original, allowing it to fill a shirt or coat pocket a little better. This latest design is also fully plastic, where the original was an alloy. In the end, both solutions work great, whether you decide to go with the latest design with the ASMedia 1153e or the original with the ASM1053 is up to you.
PRICING: You can find the MyDigitalSSD BP4 USB 3.0 mSATA SSD Enclosure Adapter with UASP Support for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
|Quality including Design and Build||85%|
|Bundle and Packaging||90%|
|Value for Money||90%|
The Bottom Line: The BP4 from MDSSD is a great solution for those that have a spare mSATA SSD they want to turn into an external storage solution, and it won't break the bank.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Sony denies PSVR2 production cut, PS5 headset to have ample supply for launch
- Report: Embracer leases Tomb Raider franchise to Amazon in $600 million deal
- GEEKOM Mini IT11 Sale - a Core i7 mini PC for just $510 with $90 off discount
- Mercedes-Benz touts that its now beaten Tesla at its own game
- Radioactive capsule goes missing sparking urgent health alert
- Samsung T7 Shield 4TB External SSD Review - Armored High-Capacity Portable
- Drop + EPOS H3X Wired Gaming Headset Review
- Deepcool CH510 Mesh Digital Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TEAM T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-7200 32GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Lian Li Lancool 205 Mesh C Chassis Review, a $90 Micro Center exclusive
- Phison E26 B58R 1,600MT 2TB SSD Preview - PCIe Gen5 storage is here
- Silicon Motion SM2267XT DRAMless Laptop SSD Preview - Speed and Efficiency
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Unboxed: FE, ASUS, MSI and ZOTAC
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 OC Shootout: ASUS, COLORFUL, FE, MSI, GAINWARD
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Unboxed: FE, ASUS ROG Strix, MSI SUPRIM LIQUID