D-Link over the past few months has emerged as a leader in providing home users with the means to setup and maintain their own connected home.
In addition, the recent launch of the Wi-Fi Motion Sensor, D-Link has paired it with the launch of the Wi-Fi Smart Plug. The Smart Plug allows the average user to turn devices on and off via their smartphone, along with creating schedules and monitoring power usage. A unique feature of the DSP-W215 is its ability to monitor the temperature of the plug to prevent your devices from overheating and causing a fire.
MSRP of the D-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug is set at $49.99 with a one-year warranty.
The Smart Plug carries a small footprint; on the front of the unit, we have the receptacle and a LED that denotes status. Centered above the receptacle is a button to turn your device on or off manually.
The back of the device houses the plug and regulatory information, along with your pin code for setup.
The side of the Smart Plug houses the WPS button for quick setup.
The Smart Plug has long setup process. To completely set it up to pair with the Wi-Fi Motion Sensor, you have to run through two apps, the first being the myD-Link Smart Plug app.
To start setup, we plugged in the smart plug and waited for a few seconds while it booted up.
After the LED begins flashing orange, you will find your Smart Plug on your network. From here, you can choose manual setup or use WPS.
After a few seconds, the plug should be found on your network.
After the plug is found, you enter the pin code for secure setup.
Finally, we are setting up a name for our Smart Plug.
Lastly, all steps have been completed.
The DSP-W215 is a great companion to the DCH-S150 Motion Sensor. Pairing the two devices together can get you a lamp that turns on when it senses motion. If you decide to use the smart plug as an independent device, there are no limits on the types of devices you could control via your smartphone.
Additional features that I really enjoyed were the power meter built into the plug and app, so I could watch power usage of my devices. Though the app doesn't monitor in real-time, so you have refresh consistently.
One downfall of the Smart Plug, but something I have heard D-Link is fixing, is the way you have to use multiple apps to complete a full setup and pair the plug with the motion sensor.
Overall, I really enjoy the Smart Plug. As you may have saw in the review of the D-Link Motion Sensor, it's rather simple once you get both devices to setup and create events or create groups of devices that react to each other.
PRICING: You can find the D-Link DSP-W215 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The D-Link DSP-W215 retails for $49.99 at Amazon.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital-only Xbox One coming in 2019
- Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales fails at sales expectations
- Sunset Overdrive is coming to PC, available on November 16th
- SMITE Nintendo Switch release planned for November 16th
- Smash Bros. Ultimate/Pokemon: Let's Go to bump Switch sales
- Vital Progenix
- ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 with AMD RYZEN 5 2600 CPU will only boot Windows after reset
- G-Technology Mobile SSD R Series 1TB Review
- Asus 2-in-1 Q524UQ
- AMD Radeon RX 590 Review: The Refresh Of A Refresh Is Here
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions