Test System Setup and Overclocking
For the last few weeks we've been testing our latest Z97 motherboards with our new i7 4790K processor. As we're testing more and more motherboards with it, we've been replacing the boards that used our older i7 4770K. In our lineup of motherboards today, we've got the GIGABYTE Z97N- GAMING 5, and it will be running at stock speeds, along with maximum overclocked speeds, which we will discuss in just a moment.
Along with this, we've got the ASRock Z97X Killer, GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING G1 WIFI-BK Black Edition, and ASUS Z97-A; all of which are using our newer i7 4790K. Along with these, we have the GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H, and the older ASRock Z87 Killer; both use our older i7 4770K.
Before we get into the testing, we've got to find out what's going on with the overclocking. Heading into the BIOS, and straight into the overclocking section, we see just how far we can push our CPU multiplier up. After a bit of time messing around with the multiplier, BCLK, and voltages, you can see our maximum overclock below.
With our multiplier at 46x, and our BCLK slightly raised to 100.51, you can see our final overclock comes in at 4623MHz, or 4.62GHz as it's shown in our graphs here today. This overclock isn't too bad. We've seen some boards offer around 4.7GHz, while others come in at around 4.6GHz. Overall, this is pretty standard for our particular CPU.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo signals 3DS retirement, ignores it in presentation
- Switch digital revenue nearly doubles, software up 86%
- Death Stranding creator meets Robert De Niro at Tribeca 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11's Director says '$6440 story' is BULLSH*T
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate overtakes Wii U console sales
- ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.....blocked mounting hole
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Carpe Diem! Imperator: Rome Available Now
- Garth Brooks Makes Mobile Game Debut in Words With Friends, Announces Final Pre-Order Window for The Legacy Collection
- Nexile releases new trailer for Jump King along with release date
- World War Z - The zombie apocalypse is frantic, frightening - and fun - in the World War Z Reaction Trailer!
- Focus Home Interactive Q4 2018 - 2019 Earnings!