Test System Setup and Overclocking
We have a bunch of motherboards in our graphs here today, but the ASRock Z97X Killer is the only one that will be making use of our new i7-4790K. Instead, our other boards will be using our tried and tested i7-4770K. Over the next few weeks, though, as we test more and more Z97 motherboards, we will begin to phase out most of the motherboards that use the i7-4770K and instead replace them with boards that are using our new i7-4790K.
So, with all that said, let's quickly cover the boards that you will be seeing in our graphs here today. Apart from the ASRock Z97X Killer with the i7-4790K, which will be running at both stock and overclocked speeds, we have the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1, ASRock Z97 Extreme4, MSI Z97X-UD5H, and ASRock Z87 Killer all running the i7-4770K.
If you had a chance to read our i7-4790K review, you would already know how we went with overclocking. At the moment, the particular i7-4790K we have isn't the strongest overclocker. While our previous i7-4770K managed to achieve in the higher realms of 4.9GHz climbing towards 5GHz, our i7-4790K isn't blessed with the same overclocking ability.
Spending as much time in the BIOS as we could and messing around with the settings, we ended up with our i7-4790K running at 4.7GHz via a 47x multiplier. This is a good overclock and lines up with what a lot of other people are seeing from their i7-4790K. It's still not as high as what we could get on our previous chip, though, and we're hoping in the coming weeks we're able to get ahold of an i7-4790K that can clock higher.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 being developed with esports in mind
- Intel reportedly 'kills off' its upcoming 10nm process
- Jump Force features original Akira Toriyama character 'Kane'
- Project Monolith - action adventure title for all platforms
- Crackdown 3 will be playable at Xbox FanFest 2018
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Akitio Thunder3 Dock Pro Review
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam