Vantec has a long history in the storage market and has had quite a few successful products. One of the most successful product lines from the company has been the NexStar line-up, and today they add another product to that line: the NexStar Wi-Fi enclosure.
The Vantec NexStar Wi-Fi enclosure comes on the heels of the dock that was released a few years back. This time around, the device, being an enclosure, is much more portable and should fit those on the go. The enclosure, while featuring 802.11b/g/n, also carries the ability to connect via USB 3.0 for quick transfers.
Smartphone compatibility extends to iOS 4+ and Android 2.1+, while desktop compatibility extends to modern Windows operating systems and OS X 10.6+.
MSRP for the Vantec NexStar Wi-Fi Enclosure is listed at $89.99 with a one-year warranty.
Scope of delivery for the Vantec includes reading materials along with two USB cables and the enclosure.
The front of the enclosure carries a pearl white exterior. To the lower right, we have a set of three LEDs denoting power, WLAN, and battery.
On the edge of the drive, we find the power button, USB 3.0 port, and power connection.
The back of the drive houses the tray where you can install any drive you so choose.
To begin setup of the enclosure, we must first connect to the NexStar via Wi-Fi.
The same app that was used with the Wi-Fi dock is also used with the enclosure. This is easily found on the Google Play store and App Store from Apple.
Launching the app and moving to the NexStar Wi-Fi tab, we see the contents of the drive. As you can see, we used a Windows operating system drive, and as such, you can see the files listed.
In the settings, you can connect the NexStar to any existing wireless network. Security options include WEP, WPA, and WPA2.
Testing the NexStar Wi-Fi, we were able to achieve 443 MB/s read and 138 MB/s write.
The Vantec NexStar Wi-Fi shares a market with the likes of the Seagate Central and LaCie Fuel but does it in a way where your storage capacity is completely up to you. The build quality of the unit seems to be quite good, and I had no issues with the unit during my time with it.
On the platform side of things, the NexStar Wi-Fi app does do what it's prescribed to do, and it does it quite well. I had no issues using the app apart from a single app crash that could have just been the fault of the iPad itself. On the storage performance side of things, the NexStar Wi-Fi is very quick, garnering 443 MB/s read and 138 MB/s write.
Battery life for the unit lasted about 5 hours while I was streaming movies from a hard disk drive. Of course, you could get even more if you had a more efficient SSD available to use in the unit.
MSRP of the Vantec NexStar Wi-Fi is set at $89.99 with a one-year warranty. Current market pricing can be found below.
PRICING: You can find the Vantec NexStar Wi-Fi for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Vantec NexStar Wi-Fi retails for $80.20 at Amazon.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit