We tested the Asustor AS-604T pedestal NAS exactly one year ago and found its performance above par compared to other products on the market in the same price range. Asustor took that same DNA and built two rackmount versions for the SMB / SME market. The first model, the AS-604RS, uses a single power supply, and the second model, the AS-604RD, uses redundant power supplies.
The AS-604RD is a cross-platform storage server. It works with everything, including Windows, Android OS, Apple, and even Linux. The ADM software is also quite powerful. Asustor's operating system has several built-in features, but the add-on packages deliver flexibility so that you can customize the server for multiple tasks that run at the same time like a virtual server but without the complication.
Hardware Specifications and Pricing
Modern NAS servers have moved beyond data storage through a wired network. In order to get the most out of a NAS, you need to look at the extra I/O hardware and the mountain of potential software features.
Powering all of the applications is an Intel dual-core Atom processor with HyperThreading. Asustor ships the AS-604RD with only 1GB of DRAM, but you can easily increase the capacity to 3GB by adding a single 2GB stick. We'll show that process later in this review.
The AS-604RD is different than the AS-604RS model in that it ships with a redundant power supply. The dual power supply does add around $100 to the cost. The single power supply unit sells for $997.99, and the redundant power supply model we're testing today sells for $1099.99 (all prices from Google Shopping).
Neither system ships with drive rails, so you'll need to purchase an Asustor Rail Kit, $145.99, to mount the system in a 4-post rack.
On the features side, the AS-604RD has four drive bays for either 3.5-inch or 2.5-inch disks. The NAS can run RAID 0, 1, 6, or 10 with an EXT4 file system. Two eSATA ports expand the total capacity of the system. Two USB 3.0 and four USB 2.0 ports increase the system's flexibility.
Two independent gigabit Ethernet ports can connect to separate networks or run one of six Link Aggregation modes. The NAS is a 1U design, so it easily fits in your existing rack.
PRICING: You can find the Austor AS-604RD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Austor AS-604RD retails for $1,099.00 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Hardware Specifications and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Software Features]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [Asustor AS-604RD]
- Page 5 [Inside the Asustor AS-604RD]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - RAID 5 Single Client Performance]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - iSCSI Enterprise Workloads]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - iSCSI Workload Latency]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Multi-Client Test]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X Review
- FSP CMT510 RGB Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- I'm need help from GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit