MSI has always been one of our favorite brands when it comes to video cards due to the simple fact that they have some of the best series on the market. Combine that with the fact that they offer both NVIDIA and AMD based cards, and you end up with just an arsenal of awesome video cards.
Sitting at the top of the series is the Lightning line up of cards, which is reserved for the fastest single GPU setups from both AMD and NVIDIA. While we're yet to see the company do anything with the new GTX 780 TI, today they've finally attacked the R9 290X 4GB from AMD, a popular card that continues to sell out on a consistent basis.
There's really not much more that needs to be said about the MSI R9 290X 4GB Lightning OC card. We know all about the Lightning series and we're far from new to the R9 series let alone the R9 290X 4GB. So, let's just get into the package and find out just what MSI has provided.
Taking a look at the box design, you can see we've got a fairly simple setup going on with the front. You can clearly see the brand and model along with the fact it's part of the Lightning Series and comes overclocked out of the box. Turning the box over, you can see we've got a lot more detail on some of the main features that are being offered.
Across the top, you can see that a large amount of focus is placed on the cooler with its Dust Removal Technology, SuperPipe Technology, and Triple fan setup. You can also see mention on the Triple Level Signals, Pure Digital PWM Control, Enhanced Power Design, and Twin BIOS. Across the bottom half of the box, you can see the focus is on the Military Class 4 Components, which brings with it Copper Mosfets, Highly-Conductive Capacitors, Super Ferrite Chokes, and Dark Solid Capacitors. All make for a card that will perform faster thanks to its ability to handle the heavy abuse overclockers give it.
Taking the package out of the box, you can see we've got a really nice setup. The top opens up and gives us a look at the card, and you can see a tab at the bottom that pulls out and gives us our accessories. It's just one of the many nice touches that the Lightning Series from MSI brings to the table.
As we start to dive into the package, it's all a very standard affair. You can see we've got a quick user guide, standard manual, driver CD, and Certificate of Quality and Stability for the Military Class components.
Checking out the cables, you can see we've got two 6-Pin to 8-Pin PCIe Power Connectors along with a dual Molex to 6-Pin PCIe power Connector. Along the right side, you can see our three V-Check cables, which we'll talk about a little more when we look at the card. Across the bottom, you can see a heat sink that is used if you remove the cooler and opt for Water or LN2 cooling. It's something only the more hardcore overclockers will opt for.
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019 at 01:16 pm CST
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]