Choosing the right server rack can be difficult, and there are a number of different parameters that can create compatibility concerns. Finding a server rack or cabinet that can handle very heavy loads narrows the choices significantly. Add in the requirement for mobility and the selection becomes quite restrictive.
In our lab, we need to maximize space effectively, while also retaining portability. Our requirement for portability is the result of the need to swap servers in and out of the platform on a regular basis. A wide array of servers, JOBDs, power filtering units, and networking equipment make the rounds through our lab on a steady basis.
This vast range of equipment also introduces a requirement for wide compatibility. The StarTech 2636 is EIA RS310-C compliant, and its compatibility with standard 19-inch equipment allows the cabinet to support a large range of equipment.
We also require a solid unit that can withstand the abuse of frequent component installations. The solid steel construction of the 2636 adds durability and strength that can handle the wear and tear of our hectic lab environment. A lifetime warranty on the unit also speaks to the durability of its design.
Sufficient space is also important, and the StarTech 2636 provides a capacity of 15U. The heavy weight loading of up to 2210 pounds can handle dense deployments easily.
A great advantage of utilizing a closed cabinet instead of an open rack is the benefit of noise reduction. The StarTech Cabinet will find its home in many SMB, SOHO, and home user environments. Those with 1U and 2U racks are all too familiar with excessive noise generation from server equipment. The benefits of closeable doors on the front and rear of the unit go a long way to helping contain screaming fan noise. For users with home labs, the attractive finish is also a big selling point. While all cabinets and racks are utilitarian at their roots, the extra attention to the appearance of this unit is a nice touch.
There are many racks and cabinets on the market that are not suitable for our environment, and finding the right fit was a bit daunting. There are numerous pitfalls to avoid when selecting server racks. Thorough research is always important to ensure the rack meets or exceeds the requirements of the installed equipment. Today, we will walk you through why we chose the StarTech.com 2636 cabinet as our go-to solution.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gabe Newell is the 427th richest person in the world
- Sharp NES TV: a curious piece of 1980s gaming magic
- Sony's new PS4 controller for kids looks like a bad idea
- Switch sells over 2 million units in U.S. alone
- Gaming video to make $4.6 billion in 2017
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB - SLI or NOT !?
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard