Our final launch day review from the new Samsung 840 EVO product family is of the 750GB capacity size. Priced at $529.99 and sold in a drive only kit, the 750GB costs a little more than some high-end 512GB drives from other manufactures, yet packs more storage capacity. Since the 500GB EVO costs just $369.99 and the leap to 1TB costs $649.99, the 750GB capacity size, and price, make for a nice stop gap between large and mega.
Performance wise, the 750GB size shares all of the specifications with the 1TB EVO. On paper at least, aside from the 250GB capacity reduction, the 1TB and 750GB models should perform the same. We tend to look at SSDs under a microscope, so we expect there to be some small differences, since each NAND package has an extra die inside. With EVO though, the NAND isn't really the driving force for most of the performance.
Don't get me wrong, 840 EVO is a helluva drive on its own, but the bundled RAPID Mode, part of Samsung's Magician suite, is the star of the show. Working in conjunction with the 840 EVO SSD is a software cache layer with up to 1GB of system DRAM sitting in front of the SSD. We're not going to dismiss the downside of a massive 1GB buffer without a battery backup, but we really like the performance. My mouth is Kool-Aid Orange right now.
If you missed our Samsung 840 EVO Overview article, now would be a good time to read it. We covered all of the new features of the 840 EVO, most of which we'll just lightly touch on in this review of the 750GB model. We've also published a review of the 250GB EVO this morning as well.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]