Thecus 5-bay NAS units have always been an odd fit in the Thecus product family. The 4-bay N4800, the NAS we call the best consumer / SOHO NAS on the market today, offers more features, one less drive bay, but a higher price than the N5550.
Moving up the scale, Thecus has the N7510, a 7-bay unit that costs considerably more than the N5550. To help blur the product family, Thecus has three five bay units on its website and all three look nearly identical.
The N5550 uses an Intel Atom processor, but just as important, ships with 2GB of DDR3 RAM. Thecus also ships the N4800 with 2GB, twice as much DRAM as most products in its price category. The N5550 is also a price leader in the 5-bay market, but costs a little more than the N5200xxx and N5500, both from Thecus as well.
The extra expense isn't just a generation upgrade without additional features. The N5550 brings USB 3.0, HDMI output, twice the amount of DRAM and audio in/out capabilities.
Before we get too far into the specs, let's have a look at the spec list so I don't leave anything out.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [Thecus N5550 NAS]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Thermaltake reveal the Versa H18 Window Micro case
- GIGABYTE's new X399 Designare EX motherboard looks GREAT
- Need for Speed: Payback teased at 4K on GTX 1080 Ti
- AMD is making a self-driving AI processor for Tesla
- Fortnite has a PUBG-style Battle Royale game mode coming
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- A Look at AMD's Threadripper CPU Hardware Modes
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower