Benchmarks - 2 Drive Redundant Test
Synology has a feature called SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) and it allows you to mix disk capacity sizes. Our unit was tested with two identical drives, but the NAS ships in SHR mode which makes future upgrades to your drives very easy.
With just two drives users can't run RAID 5 or RAID 6, so you are limited to RAID 1 for data redundancy and RAID 0 for performance. In our tests we quickly learned there wasn't much performance difference between the two modes and as long as you don't need massive capacity you should keep your NAS in a redundant format for data protection.
Normally we test large drive NAS servers and appliances; it's been several years since we've tested a dual bay system. That is changing though as we now have three dual bay units in for review. We'll see how these smaller units fair by using the Synology DS212 as a baseline for performance.
The Synology DS212 was much faster than we expected and much faster than the last dual bay NAS we looked at. I was very surprised to see the unit achieving over 100MB/s in several of our tests. The numbers reached are what we expect from four and five bay systems and not small, inexpensive dual bay consumer appliances such as this one.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- H1Z1 is locked at 60FPS on the PS4 Pro
- Ohio university gives scholarships to best Fortnite players
- EKWB launch EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3 waterblock, now with RGB
- Battlefield 1's monthly updates end in June
- SEGA and Capcom Humble Bundle discounts great games
- EVGA DG-77 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- B360M-ITX/ac does not see USB drive at all
- WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500GB Review
- Legacy Mode
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit