We are very excited to see USB 3.0 finally hitting price points that are acceptable, but would really like to see them fall just a little more. It will take another three to six months to get to a point when USB 3.0 enclosures dominate the market and at that time it will be difficult to find a USB 2.0 enclosure. USB, like its name says it is a true universal protocol and it has been used in everything from cameras to professional racing data systems.
When you see an Indy Car come into the pits and someone attaches a thick wire to the car for a few second, that is a modified USB interface that quickly transfers data files back to the servers that then analyze the data. Many TVs, DVRs and other consumer electronic devices use the standard as well, but so far USB 2.0 still is found in those devices. It is going to take a real push by the industry to move past the old way of doing things, but with a little time we will see that happen. Getting the costs down plays a big role in that progression.
One company that is really pushing for the new standard to take hold is GIGABYTE. At Computex we saw their top to bottom strategy first hand and were very impressed with the way they have been able to add USB 3.0 into every product they sell that can take advantage of it. GIGABYTE has shipped more USB 3.0 enabled motherboards than all other motherboard manufacturers combined, something that is just not possible with just enthusiast class products. GIGABYTE is really committed to seeing a fast adoption rate for USB 3.0.
The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD costs about the same as its USB 2.0 and eSATA versions, so I think LaCie has done their part to help speed along the change as well. Currently you are able to find the LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB HDD at Newegg for 144.00 USD and that includes free shipping. The same unit that uses USB 2.0 and eSATA actually costs more at Newegg, around 149.00 with free shipping as well. With USB 3.0 being the new standard and offering higher bandwidth than eSATA, it would be wise to purchase the less expensive USB 3.0 model even if you have to also purchase a low cost PCIe adapter at the same time. Your next motherboard purchase will include USB 3.0.
When it comes to performance we tend to get a little jaded by all of the SSDs that are tested in the labs these days. The LaCie Rugged comes with a high speed notebook drive that offers better than 100MB/s read and write speeds and will be a huge improvement over just about everything else offered on the market in its price range. I would love to see LaCie come out with a Rugged that features a SandForce SSD, then again, knowing what something like that would cost, I think I will just stick with the unit I have for now and wait for SSD prices to fall a little more.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ROME: Total War is coming to iPhone, August 23rd
- Micron Outs In-House High Performance NVMe SSD Controller
- Silicon Motion Details SM2270 Enterprise SSD Controller
- Fullbright's Gone Hone will debut to the Nintendo Switch
- Dr. Strange/Avengers buildings spotted in Spider-Man trailer
- Buy (10 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,500
- Buy (5 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,150
- TRENDnet TWC-L10 Wi-Fi Light Bulb Security Camera Review
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada
- Razer NOMMO Pro is Available For Purchase
- Beat-'Em-Up Coffee Crisis Out On Xbox One Today
- New World Boss Karanda Coming to Black Desert Online SEA