Areca has always produced great RAID controllers and the ARC-1680X is not an exception. One thing that has really stuck out in this review is how the controller performs in server specific tests compared to the consumer friendly tests. When it comes to the server tests the ARC-1680 really excels and even outperforms the LSI 9280-8E under identical conditions. We only tested both cards with one port since only one external expander system was available, but this is how most users will use the cards so we were comfortable with releasing this article.
The Areca ARC-1680X has a healthy cost advantage over the LSI 9280-8E, but the controller is now considered "old" in computer time. The newest release SAS controllers will all feature PCIe 2.0 connectivity and support SAS 2.0. It is because of this that we may be able to find some great bargains on the 1680 Series of controllers. Areca has yet to announce their next generation product line-up, but when they do the 1680 generation should see massive price drops. That savings matched with previous generation SAS drives like the Seagate 15K.6 will make it possible to build a very high performance enterprise class storage system for thousands less than it would have cost just a year prior.
There will always be those who demand the latest and greatest, but when it comes to the price vs. performance it is difficult to turn a blind eye to great technology that only has an imperfection with the date code.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Areca ARC-1680X]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD Copy-Benchmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gabe Newell is the 427th richest person in the world
- Sharp NES TV: a curious piece of 1980s gaming magic
- Sony's new PS4 controller for kids looks like a bad idea
- Switch sells over 2 million units in U.S. alone
- Gaming video to make $4.6 billion in 2017
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB - SLI or NOT !?
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard