With the package out the way it's time to see what exactly the card has to offer. Pulling the card straight out of the box we don't see too much more than we saw through the window on the front.
The cooler stands out and it's all copper. The build quality on the thing feels absolutely amazing and the weight behind the card is just massive. We've seen pictures of the HD 3870 X2 show up over the past few weeks with a combination of Aluminum/Copper coolers and tweaked versions of the standard HD3870 cooler, but nothing looks as mean as the one GECUBE use here.
The card carries with it two PCI Express connectors as you would expect since the standard HD 3870 carries one and this is of course two 3870 cores pretty much molded together. They're slightly separated which means plugging the connectors in are easy, and if you only have a single PCI Express power connector you can use one of the Molex to PCI Express connectors included in the package as we mentioned earlier.
What's really interesting is that as you move to the top of the card you find yourself with only a single Crossfire connector. The card supports Crossfire so you should in theory be able to put two of these bad boys together but we're not sure about drivers at the moment. When we find ourselves with a second card this will be the first thing we test though.
If we quickly turn the card over we can see some extra GDDR3 Samsung chips on the back of the card along with where exactly our two cores sit. GECUBE seem to have gone to the effort of making sure all of the RAM on the front of the card is cooled, but none on the back is unfortunately.
The I/O department is like we expected with the front of the box mentioning the fact that it has Dual Link DVI connectors. We have seen over the past few weeks that some pictures of the cards have only two connectors.
If we look at the back of the card we can see the small PCB with the two extra connectors connected to the main PCB by a number of pins.
The whole card design is loads better than the GX2 we saw from NVIDIA in 2006 which was literally two separate PCBs connected by a little bridge. Ultimately though it doesn't matter what the card looks like, it comes down to how it performs and that's something we're going to be looking at in just a moment; but before we get into that let's have a closer look at the specifications of the card.
GECUBE have gone pretty hard core with the specifications on their HD 3870 X2. While the standard HD 3870 X2 carries with it a core clock of 825MHz, GECUBE have bumped it to 850MHz. While 10MHz shy of the 860MHz clock we saw on the MSI offering the memory is way up from 1800MHz DDR to 1960MHz DDR.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital PS4 game sales locked exclusively to PSN
- Enter the 'Spider-Verse' for our Spider-Man Blu-ray giveaway
- Epic Store has 85 million users
- Google Stadia only works with Pixel phones, Chromecast on TV
- Switch could use Microsoft voice chat technology
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced