Technology companies such as Facebook, Google, and many others are currently in talks with the United States government about using mobile location data to track the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19.
A new report has come out from The Washington Post, which claims that Facebook and Google are discussing with the U.S. government terms for using everyone's mobile location data to track the spread of the coronavirus. Just last week, Facebook, Amazon, Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Twitter had a meeting with the U.S. Chief Technology Officer, Michael Kratsios. The contents of the meeting weren't disclosed to the public, but it's assumed that this meeting was in regard to the mobile location data.
The United States wouldn't be the first country to implement this strategy of tracking the coronavirus, as Israel has just done the same thing. Many American's could feel uncomfortable if this decision went ahead, and the government began openly tracking everyone's location in real-time as it could pose a privacy violation in many people's eyes.
Whether or not its a privacy violation or not, the practical thinking behind the plan seems like it could work because health officials would be able to retrace the steps of someone that is infected and quarantine everyone who came into contact with that person. Health officials would also be able to monitor social distances on a wide-spread scale, and see how much this distancing is impacting the overall spread of the virus.
Important Coronavirus COVID-19 Information
Medications: It has also been found that these medications can aggravate coronavirus cases, more on that can be found here.
How long it stays on surfaces: Researchers have also discovered how long the coronavirus stays on surfaces, find out more here.
How it makes you sick: Scientists have figured out exactly how the coronavirus COVID-19 makes you sick, find out how here.
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: August 2020 reveal, launch at Computex 2020
- R.E.M.'s 'It's The End Of The World As We Know It' is back on charts
- Tech industry leaders issue joint statement over COVID-19 coronavirus
- NVIDIA delays GTC announcement of Ampere GPU over COVID-19 coronavirus
- Coronavirus is on your phone, here's how you can clean it properly
- > NEXT STORY: This flu drug is 'clearly effective' in treating coronavirus COVID-19
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Friends reunion special on HBO Max delayed over coronavirus COVID-19