E3 2019 - The rumors were right on the money: Elden Ring is real, George R.R. Martin helped write and shape the world, and it looks supremely bizarre.
Today FromSoftware announced Elden Ring, a hypnotic new action RPG with exotic weirdness only Miyazaki could dream up. No exact details were confirmed, but the footage brings a truly grand sweeping fantasy feel that'd make Tolkien proud, complete with FromSoftware's striking visuals. The result is an entrancing bit of macabre media that ignites a deep well of hype within gamers like myself.
So what do we actually know about Elden Ring?
George R.R. Martin closely worked on the project alongside Hidetaka Miyazaki, strongly indicating we'll get a marvelous experience that blends Martin's penchant for grim fantasy with Miyazaki's incredible flair. Elden Ring is an action RPG and a press release says it's the biggest project FromSoftware has ever worked on. Past leaks suggest Elden Ring will be an expansive open-world affair with wide-scale battles, horseback traversal, and similar combat mechanics to Dark Souls.
"Developed by FromSoftware, Inc. and BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc., ELDEN RING is a is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki - creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series; and George R.R. Martin - author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Within the world of ELDEN RING, danger and discovery lurk around every corner in FromSoftware's largest game to-date."
No release date was set for Elden Ring, but we should expected it in 2020 on all major platforms (possibly even Stadia).
Last updated: Jun 10, 2019 at 06:11 am CDT
- Bloodborne 2 isn't in active development for PS5 + Elden Ring details
- FromSoftware director picks Bloodborne as his favorite game-child
- Post-Cyberpunk 2077 RPG from CD Projekt RED may not hit 2021 deadline
- New Harry Potter third-person wizard RPG could be revealed soon
- Mass Effect writer: BioWare's new games are based on market research
- > NEXT STORY: Elden Ring is open-world with heavy emphasis on RPG elements
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Halo: Infinite launches with next-gen Xbox in 2020