DOOM's new update is here, with id Software adding its new Arcade game mode, new multiplayer modes, classic DOOM modules in SnapMap, and more.
id Software's new Arcade mode will let you play against your friends and other DOOMers from around the world, aiming for the highest score in the single player campaign. You'll need to fight against demon hordes with your completely unlocked array of guns, Praetor suit upgrades, and runes. The developer teases: "Earn medals and achievements, play on every difficulty, and challenge yourself with the new scoring system that rewards aggression and accuracy".
The new patch also includes classic DOOM modules in SnapMap, so you can build and play through new maps using the assets from the original game. DOOM's new update also includes two new multiplayer modes, with Possession and Bloodrush.
- Possession will have Prowlers vs. Marines, where you have a team of marines up against player-controlled Prowler demos.
- Bloodrush is kind of like your normal free-for-all, except that it forces players to manage their Bloodrush meter if they want to respawn.
Here's the full details on the new DOOM patch:
2 New Modes
- Possession - New team-based Prowler vs. Marine multiplayer mode.
- Bloodrush - New free-for-all multiplayer mode.
- New DOOM Classic Campaign
- Added Feature Pack Campaign mission, including new classic DOOM levels
Classic DOOM Content
- New classic DOOM modules, props, interactable items, lifts, pickups, sounds, classic player deaths, and music.
- Community Curation system enables newly published maps to be reviewed and recommended by the community
- Community HUB overhauled, which makes finding your favorite content easier
- SnapFeed support, allows users to subscribe to authors, players, and maps to get up-to-the-minute details on new content
Custom Environment Creation
- Detailed hotspot and tiling textured blocking volumes can be used to create custom environments
- Decal Tool to add blood, numbers, demonic symbols, grime, corrosion, and more to your maps
- Massive update of new Hell and UAC environment props
- Added new container object models
Additional Logic Tools
- Copy content and logic from one map to Paste into another
- Created multi-level campaign using Next Map Logic
- Added Hazard and FX as a category of Spawners
- Set color input added for all volumes and hazards
- Snap Grid Offsets added to editor settings to allow authors to offset in XYZ coordinate space
- POI can now be set on spawner items
- Authors can get precise camera position by previewing the camera view within the editor
- Added set environment and fade to camera properties
- Authors can set their editor view to ignore current module environment settings
- Cylinder volumes can be used as shootable triggers
- Added support for silent (no VO announcements) lockdowns
- No longer need to set a DOOM ID to post to map leaderboards
Additional DOOM Single Player Consistency
- Additional DOOM weapon upgrades from Campaign - mastery versions of the HAR and Combat Shotgun
- Campaign-styled communication HUD elements
- Editable interactable GUI
- Additional FX and Hazards
- Added Rune Tablet interactable
- Publish maps with Campaign intro screen and lobby
- Additional equipment pickup items
- Add Static keycard and weapons props
- Added setting to disable hit feedback sounds
- Added setting to disable damage indicators
- Added setting to disable AI teleport FX
- Added Berserk power-up
Miscellaneous Fixes and Additions
- Added additional armor and weapon customization skins
- Added Revenant player demon
- Usable volumes will now work in the front of doors
- Blocking Volumes (previously called Player Blocking Volumes) now default to static and visible when placed
- AI can now be affected by Blocking Volumes
- Some props can have their FX toggled on and off
- > NEXT STORY: Nintendo's new Switch console powered by NVIDIA Tegra
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Nintendo NX is called Switch, is transforming tablet