Sony's new 4K-ready PlayStation Neo console will be unveiled during an official event in September, sources say.
The PlayStation 4 Neo console, which upscales original PS4 games to 4K resolution and features upgraded hardware, will be revealed on September 7 at a special Sony event in New York. The news comes from French gaming site Gameblog, and the same sources have confirmed the news to renowned industry sources like VICE Gaming's Patrick Klepek, who's well known for accuracy when it comes to leaks.
Sony president Andrew House officially confirmed the PlayStation 4 Neo (PS4.5, PS4K) before E3 2016, saying that the new console "is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4. We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle," and that the PS4 Neo will be fully backward compatible with all existing PS4 games: "All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4."
According to leaked documents from Sony, the PlayStation Neo isn't just tailored for 4K UHDTV owners. The PS4 Neo will enable "higher, more stable framerates" and "additional graphics features" for HDTV owners, and its GPU specs are a match for AMD's new Radeon RX 480 Ellesmere GPU, but bear in mind consoles use highly-customized hardware, not desktop-grade video cards.
Check below for everything we know about the PlayStation 4 Neo so far:
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
- GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz (equivalent to Radeon HD 7850)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s
PS4 NEO / PS4K
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
- GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz (possibly built on Polaris10 Ellesmere?)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s
Everything we know so far about the PlayStation 4K:
- Sony's new PlayStation 4K costs $439, coming in October, says Amazon
- Leaked PS4 Neo slides from Sony reveal specs, 4K upscaling strategies
- PS4 Slim coming alongside PS4 Neo, reports claim
- PS4K is a PS4, won't shorten original console's life-cycle, says Sony
- Sony won't reveal PlayStation 4K at Gamescom, maybe at Tokyo Game Show
- Sony officially confirms new 4K-ready PlayStation 4K console
- PS4.5 would play Ultra HD Blu-ray, as well as 4K gaming and VR
- Sony's new PS4 sports 4K upscaling, upgraded CPU, GPU and RAM
- PlayStation 4K will launch before October 2016, says French wholesaler
- New PS4K info coming at TGS 2016, console reveal at Paris Games Week
- PlayStation 4K: Everything you need to know
- Sony's PlayStation Neo won't have exclusive games, shares PS4 library
- Could the PS4K be responsible for Sony's huge PS4 sales forecast?
- Sony's new PlayStation Neo is pissing off lots of developers
- PlayStation Neo games required to run at native 1080p minimum
- >> NEXT STORY: Hulu ending free streaming, expanding Yahoo parternship
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Watch the No Man's Sky dev livestream right here