Technology and gaming content trusted in North America and globally since 1999
8,616 Reviews & Articles | 61,043 News Posts

Spritz wants to see you reading at 1,000 words per minute

A startup company wants to see you reading way faster than you do right now, up to 1,000 words per minute

Anthony Garreffa | Mar 1, 2014 at 5:34 am CST (1 min, 32 secs time to read)

I can type much quicker than I read, so anything that helps me read faster, is great. Spritz, a Boston-based startup, is working on an incredible text streaming technology, that will see people reading pages of text much faster than they've ever previously thought possible.

VIEW GALLERY - 2 IMAGES

The way this is possible, is that Spritz has crafted a technology that stops you from you having your eyes moving from word to word, by removing the page altogether. With Spritz, all you need is 13 characters to show all of your content, with fast streaming coming in and changing this all up. Spritz's technology is capable of being pushed into photos, maps, videos, and websites for much faster, more effective communication.

Spritz wants to see you reading at 1,000 words per minute 09 | TweakTown.com

The way Spritz does this is instead of you reading in a line, it has the words appear in front of you, positioned much differently - something the startup calls the "Optimal Recognition Point", or ORP. The ORP is the "fixation point" which stays still, while the words flash through it. ORP is displayed in red, which saves a lot of recognition time in your brain when reading.

Most people have their eyes skip from word to word, but in reality you spend around 20% of that time processing whatever content you're reading. The remaining 80% of the time is spent looking for that fixation point, which has some people skipping shorter words. Spritz does this radically different with ORP, as it doesn't change. This allows you to both read, and process the content without your eyes moving from the fixation point. It allows words to change much, much quicker, but you are reading them without skipping words.

Spritz will be making its technology available to the Galaxy S5 and Gear 2 from Samsung, but the startup has a goal of having 15% of the world's textual content read through Spritz by 2016.

Last updated: Apr 7, 2020 at 11:42 am CDT

Anthony Garreffa

ABOUT THE AUTHOR - Anthony Garreffa

Anthony is a long time PC enthusiast with a passion of hate for games built around consoles. FPS gaming since the pre-Quake days, where you were insulted if you used a mouse to aim, he has been addicted to gaming and hardware ever since. Working in IT retail for 10 years gave him great experience with custom-built PCs. His addiction to GPU tech is unwavering.

Related Tags