MSI's Z170A XPOWER is unique with its white/silver PCB color. Most everything matches white, so if you want a unique overclocking board, the MSI offers something different. The MSI Z170A XPOWER was used for stability testing in this review. MSI has their own extreme overclocking guide here.
MSI's Z170A XPOWER has an external overclocking board, which is quite convenient, offering the simplicity of buttons on a secondary PCB. There is also a knob that controls auto overclocking. More information can be found here. There is one really nice thing I like about OC recovery on the Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION, the motherboard offers you multiple options after a failed overclock (if the board auto recovers) to speed things up when it comes to re-setting BIOS settings.
MSI's LLC implementation is interesting; they offer 100% and then 40%, but they are effective.
BIOS Memory OC Profiles
MSI offers a list of memory preset profiles, and also provides a "MemoryTryIt!" option to select the type of DDR used.
BIOS Power Savings
MSI provides a CPU Ratio Mode option that will setup Turbo and EIST so you can have a Fixed Frequency (without power savings) overclock or a Dynamic one (with power savings). C-States are located on another page.
BIOS PWM Options
MSI offers PWM control in their UEFI as well. Over/under voltage protection, over current protection, switching frequency, power duty control, and over temperature protection can help you maximize overclocks under extreme conditions. MSI's guide does a good job of maximizing these, but you can select LN2 mode under OC setup that will maximize these for you.
MSI's Command Center offers novice users with GUI friendly overclocking. However, for the enthusiasts, MSI has provided Command Center Lite for quick in-Windows tuning.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction to Skylake Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Overclocking Flow Chart, Non-K SKUs, BCLK, and Multipliers]
- Page 4 [BCLK, Core, Cache, Memory, and FCLK Scaling]
- Page 5 [Skylake Overclocking Voltages]
- Page 6 [Power Savings and Voltage/Power Analysis]
- Page 7 [The Durability of Intel's 14nm Node]
- Page 8 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: Corsair and Frequency Scaling]
- Page 9 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: G.Skill and Memory Timings]
- Page 10 [ASRock Z170 Overclocking: Z170 OC Formula]
- Page 11 [ASUS Z170 Overclocking: Maximus VIII Extreme]
- Page 12 [EVGA Z170 Overclocking: Z170 Classified 4-Way]
- Page 13 [GIGABYTE Z170 Overclocking: Z170X-SOC Force]
- Page 14 [MSI Z170 Overclocking: Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION]
- Page 15 [Stability Testing, Delidding, Crashing, and Throttling]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Offensive language in Rainbow Six Siege now gives insta-ban
- Nintendo teases future updates for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- MoonQuest comes to Steam Early Access 7 years later
- Nintendo Switch soon to feature 1000+ games, all regions
- Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1/2 screenshots & Rookie mode
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit