To coincide with Computex 2014, Intel launched three new unlocked processors based on the Haswell architecture. The processors are the Core i7-4790K, the model we're testing today, the Core i5-4690K, and a special edition dual-core Pentium model to celebrate Intel's 20th anniversary of the Pentium processor.
The Core i7 4790Ks we're testing today came with a marketing nickname, Devil's Canyon. The processor was designed specifically for overclocking and features a 4.4GHz TurboBoost speed, HyperThreading, as well as knobs to adjust everything from cache speeds to BCLK dividers.
With a base clock speed of 4GHz that increases to a maximum turbo frequency of 4.4GHz at stock settings, the 4790K is Intel's flagship enthusiast processor. The 4790K will work with existing Z87 motherboards with a BIOS update, and is compatible out of the box with all Z97 motherboards. The 4790K is Intel's highest clocked quad-core CPU, yet it still boasts features such as integrated graphics and an exceptional dual-channel memory controller.
Two major differences set the Devil's Canyon CPUs apart from the original Haswell K-SKUs: updated thermal interface material (TIM) and extra capacitors on the CPU package. While the boost in CPU speed means that the 4790K has a TDP 4W higher than the 4770K, the upgraded TIM should prove to deal with this situation.
Pricing and Availability
The 4790K is priced at $340 at most online retailers; however, we purchased our CPUs from two local Microcenters, which have in-store specials as low as $280. The 4690K retails for $240, and the special edition dual-core Pentium edition (G3258) retails at $75.
The boxed 4790K carries the basic Intel CPU cooler, a warranty manual with sticker, and a free trial of McAfee LiveSafe. The standard warranty on the 4790K is 3 years. However, if you are worried about overclocking causing damage not covered under Intel's standard warranty, you can purchase Intel's Performance Tuning Protection Plan (PTPP), which covers any damage from overclocking. The Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan offers extra protection at the low cost of $25; as long as you purchase the PTPP within one year of the purchase of the processor, Intel will replace your CPU one time due to damage caused by overclocking.
PRICING: You can find the Intel i7-4790K for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Intel i7-4790K retails for $329.99 at Amazon.
Australia: The Intel i7-4790K retails for $470.99 AUD at Mighty Ape Australia.
New Zealand: The Intel i7-4790K retails for $499.99 NZD at Mighty Ape NZ.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Intel 4790K LGA1150 CPU]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pre-order Dead Cells now on Switch, receive 20% discount
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate available at this years Evo 2018
- Sony teases 'Tombstone' villain inclusion for Spider-Man PS4
- The Hulk smashes into GTA V with new mod, download available
- Dragon Ball FighterZ for Switch, open beta starts next month
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Biostar X470GTN Gaming (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Asrock X399 + Watercooling help needed please
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit