AMD Athlon 64 has to be one of the most diverse CPU platforms when it comes to its socket layouts. Originally starting off as a Socket 754 single channel memory design for the desktop and a Socket 940 for servers, this soon changed to include a 939 variant for the desktop with dual channel memory. Socket 754 stayed for the value-end with Sempron and Socket 940 for servers.
AMD Athlon 64 has once again been given another socket, but this time AMD is retiring its previous two desktop sockets - namely Socket 754 and 939 - and replacing it with a single Socket AM2 based on a 940-pin layout arrangement.
In server markets, AMD is also going to retire the Socket 940 Opterons in due time to make way for the LGA based Opterons giving AMD only two sockets to worry about. Intel recently had Socket 478 and 775 but now only 775 exist for desktops in new CPU's and soon to see the end of 604 in servers for LGA771.
AM2 is a new socket and hence it does add one new feature to the mix for AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Sempron based on this new socket - that being DDR-2 memory support. Today we are going to pit an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 AM2 against a similarly clocked Socket 939 CPU to see just what, if any, gains come from the new memory interface for AM2 based processors.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung's Galaxy Note 10 could rock huge 6.66-inch display
- Cyberpunk 2077 team won't 'artificially' extend playtime
- Dell's 49-inch ultra-wide monitor rocks 5120x1440 resolution
- COD: Black Ops 4 emotes let gamers peak around corners
- Sony ramping up services framework for next-gen PS5
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Ryzen 1600x, temps, spikes and normal workload
- Which modern Z370 ATX motherboards are most reliable? Seeking advice
- Zombidle: Fun With Surgery Is An Update With A Lot of Guts
- Theia Wallet Announced the 1.0 Version Beta Test, Supports BTC
- Orion Health launches Amadeus CORE to help healthcare sector leverage data analytics and machine learning
- Epson Booth to Feature Partners with latest POS Solutions at Money20/20
- Raybaby announces launch on Amazon