AMD Athlon 64 has to be one of the most diverse CPU platforms when it comes to its socket layouts. Originally starting off as a Socket 754 single channel memory design for the desktop and a Socket 940 for servers, this soon changed to include a 939 variant for the desktop with dual channel memory. Socket 754 stayed for the value-end with Sempron and Socket 940 for servers.
AMD Athlon 64 has once again been given another socket, but this time AMD is retiring its previous two desktop sockets - namely Socket 754 and 939 - and replacing it with a single Socket AM2 based on a 940-pin layout arrangement.
In server markets, AMD is also going to retire the Socket 940 Opterons in due time to make way for the LGA based Opterons giving AMD only two sockets to worry about. Intel recently had Socket 478 and 775 but now only 775 exist for desktops in new CPU's and soon to see the end of 604 in servers for LGA771.
AM2 is a new socket and hence it does add one new feature to the mix for AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Sempron based on this new socket - that being DDR-2 memory support. Today we are going to pit an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 AM2 against a similarly clocked Socket 939 CPU to see just what, if any, gains come from the new memory interface for AM2 based processors.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Labo brings cardboard cut-outs to the gaming world
- Metal Gear Survive will feature microtransactions
- Surprise character hits Dragon Ball FighterZ before launch
- God of War: Stone Manson Edition unveiled
- Dark Souls Remastered won't support cross-platform
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series