DisplayPort goes on Steroids
One of the first things that had my jaw on the ground was the tease of DisplayPort 1.3, which has support for some truly insane refresh rates and resolutions. Right now, 4K is capped at 60Hz on DP1.2, and we're finally seeing 2560x1440 hit 165Hz on certain displays, like the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.
DisplayPort 1.3 has incredible bandwidth, hitting 32.4Gbps of bandwidth - a huge 80% increase over HDMI 2.0, and up from the 21.6Gbps of bandwidth available through DP1.2. Additionally, DP1.3 uses the same cables and connectors, which is absolutely awesome. You won't need to buy new cables, and there won't be new annoying connectors, either.
4K displays with 120Hz refresh rate and FreeSync? Sign. Me. Up.
DisplayPort 1.3 will usher in single-cable 5K display support, something AMD expects to see in mid-2016.
AMD said that its future GPUs arriving in 2016 will include support for DisplayPort 1.3, which is capable of driving 1080p and 1440p resolutions at up to 240Hz. UltraWide fans, like myself, can get excited about 3440x1440 displays arriving with up to 190Hz in the near future, with 4K displays hitting the magical 120Hz mark. 5K gets some love, with 60Hz support on a single cable, versus the 2 x DP1.2 connectors required to make 5K work right now.
Better yet, AMD talked about HDR (something we'll cover later on in the article), and this is included in the new refresh rate support with DisplayPort 1.3. DP1.3 will drive 1080p at up to 240Hz with HDR enabled while 1440p can hit 170Hz on HDR (240Hz on SDR).
At 3440x1440, the SDR support hits 190Hz but HDR drops this to a still respectable 144Hz. At 4K, we'll be seeing 60Hz support with HDR enabled while SDR will drive up to that magical 120Hz refresh rate. Expect HDR to shake things up in 2016, and into the future.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction - Welcome to Sonoma, California]
- Page 2 [DisplayPort 1.3 Allows For 4K @ 120Hz + 1440p @ 240Hz]
- Page 3 [HDR - RTG says 'We Need More Than Pixels']
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox One still flops in Japan
- Google to reveal gaming platform at GDC 2019
- Jagex showcase Old School RuneScape in-game statistics
- 'The Witcher 3' developers possibly working on Switch title
- PlayStation CEO says Sony has an eye on multiplayer/co-op
- BIOSTAR B450GT3 (AMD B450) Motherboard Review
- best enhance your flexibility
- cpu internal ac/dc load line settings and undervolding?
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Explore a World of Ancient Chinese Mythology!
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America's Post EVO Japan Fighting Game News Round-up
- Million Arthur: Arcana Blood Coming To Steam This Summer
- Rising Lords announces alpha launch via new trailer
- Zombie-Veggie Shooter, The Walking Vegetables Radical! Edition Coming Soon to PS4!