DisplayPort goes on Steroids
One of the first things that had my jaw on the ground was the tease of DisplayPort 1.3, which has support for some truly insane refresh rates and resolutions. Right now, 4K is capped at 60Hz on DP1.2, and we're finally seeing 2560x1440 hit 165Hz on certain displays, like the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.
DisplayPort 1.3 has incredible bandwidth, hitting 32.4Gbps of bandwidth - a huge 80% increase over HDMI 2.0, and up from the 21.6Gbps of bandwidth available through DP1.2. Additionally, DP1.3 uses the same cables and connectors, which is absolutely awesome. You won't need to buy new cables, and there won't be new annoying connectors, either.
4K displays with 120Hz refresh rate and FreeSync? Sign. Me. Up.
DisplayPort 1.3 will usher in single-cable 5K display support, something AMD expects to see in mid-2016.
AMD said that its future GPUs arriving in 2016 will include support for DisplayPort 1.3, which is capable of driving 1080p and 1440p resolutions at up to 240Hz. UltraWide fans, like myself, can get excited about 3440x1440 displays arriving with up to 190Hz in the near future, with 4K displays hitting the magical 120Hz mark. 5K gets some love, with 60Hz support on a single cable, versus the 2 x DP1.2 connectors required to make 5K work right now.
Better yet, AMD talked about HDR (something we'll cover later on in the article), and this is included in the new refresh rate support with DisplayPort 1.3. DP1.3 will drive 1080p at up to 240Hz with HDR enabled while 1440p can hit 170Hz on HDR (240Hz on SDR).
At 3440x1440, the SDR support hits 190Hz but HDR drops this to a still respectable 144Hz. At 4K, we'll be seeing 60Hz support with HDR enabled while SDR will drive up to that magical 120Hz refresh rate. Expect HDR to shake things up in 2016, and into the future.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction - Welcome to Sonoma, California]
- Page 2 [DisplayPort 1.3 Allows For 4K @ 120Hz + 1440p @ 240Hz]
- Page 3 [HDR - RTG says 'We Need More Than Pixels']
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlegrounds 2 won't happen, as the game is a service
- Galaxy S9 logo leaks, still has a headphone jack
- NVIDIA's new GeForce 388.00 drivers ready for Destiny 2
- All the legit Destiny 2 deals for PC during release week
- Battlegrounds physical copy teased for Xbox One
- ADATA XPG SX950 480GB SATA III SSD Review
- Lenovo Legion Y920 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- Gigabyte Z97 Gaming GT: PCIe slots 3.0 that working only at 1.0 with an ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 expansion card
- Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT: PCIe 3.0 that work only at 1.0 with Asus Hyper m.2 x 4 card
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard