I didn't bother touching Google's first foray into the mobile operating system (OS) world until Android 2.x with the HTC Desire. The first few iterations of Android were released during a time when I was still hypnotized with the first iPhone, and following that, the iPhone 3G.
At the time Apple really were the kings of the mobile OS world and Android felt like it was just going through teething stages and wasn't ready to compete. This rang true through most Android 2.x releases, followed by the tablet-exclusive OS, Android 3.x "Honeycomb".
Honeycomb was a mess. I remember using it on the original ASUS Transformer tablet, and compared to the original, first-gen iPad, it felt lackluster, slow, and unfinished. Google were tripping over themselves trying to compete, but slowly, they were molding their mobile OS to compete with the big boy in the playground.
Apple's iOS began to slow down, refining itself, but adding no killer apps or features. They still relied on Google's Maps app, which we saw them remove from iOS 6, and the look of iOS hasn't really even changed since the first iOS, which is a huge disappointment.
Then Google changed everything (again?) with Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich". Android 4.0 was Google's first real, "true" mobile OS - that could slide itself onto a smartphone or a tablet, and was the beginning of Google's now triumph in the mobile OS arena.
Most phones are now shipping with Android 4.0 ICS, and so they should - it's a great OS, but Google didn't stop there, and their train of success has continued to move forward. With the release of the Nexus 7, which was collaboration between ASUS and Google, saw the release of Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean". We reviewed Jelly Bean, and to this day, it is still not getting baked into enough devices. But, it was the most refined version of Android yet - and until Android 4.2, it was the best version of Android available.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [New abilities found in Android 4.2]
- Page 3 [New abilities found in Android 4.2 cont.]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dad makes custom Zelda/Link life-lesson present for daughter
- Google tease MAJOR gaming announcement for March 19th
- Overwatch's new Paris map is now live on all platforms
- Huawei to unveil its next-gen P30 smartphone on March 26
- Apex Legends second patch arrives, fixes stability, crashes
- Far Cry New Dawn Benchmarked: 1080p, 1440p, 4K All Tested
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- BIOSTAR B450GT3 (AMD B450) Motherboard Review
- cpu internal ac/dc load line settings and undervolding?
- LG Innotek Begins Mass Production of 'ToF Module' for Smart Phones
- Puma And The Tetris Company Announce Partnership That Is Sure To Spark Nostalgia
- Embrace Your Dark Side - Daedalic Entertainment Announces New Tactical RPG Iratus: Lord of the Dead
- New Devespresso and Headup Collaboration: 'Vambrace: Cold Soul' Coming Soon to PC & Consoles
- Hadean Integrates Distributed Simulation Technology Powered By Microsoft Azure