The other day we checked out the MSI HD 7970 Lightning 3GB and in typical MSI Lightning fashion we found ourselves really impressed with what was on offer. Strong overclocking performance, a good out of the box overclock, awesome cooler and just a huge amount of features make it a stand out video card.
We figured what's better than a single HD 7970 Lightning 3GB overclocked, though? Two MSI HD 7970 Lighting 3GB video cards overclocked and in CrossFire mode! So that's exactly what we did - we organized another MSI HD 7970 Lightning 3GB, paired it with the one we had and then proceeded to overclock them both in CrossFire. Much fun prevailed, of course.
Because we've already looked at the video cards we're using in more detail in our original review, we don't need to cover it again. Instead for a more detail look check out the original review we just linked above.
Instead, we'll get into the good stuff pretty quickly today as we know that is all you want to see. On the next page we'll check out our Test System Setup and cover the video cards we'll be using in our comparison today. On the same page we'll also check out the overclocking ability of the setup. CrossFire always brings a slight hit in overclocking ability and we'll find out just how moving to the two card setup affects our maximum overclock today.
Once we've done that then we'll just get into the performance side of things to see how this CrossFire setup compared to other single card setup and CrossFire ones. So with all that said, let's get into the test system setup and the overclocking side of things to see just how we went.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Russia send gunslinging robot to pilot spacecraft into orbit
- Intel CPUs have serious bug: vulnerable to remote attacks
- AMD's next drivers will include OSD performance monitoring
- HP's new server rocks AMD EPYC CPUs, already breaks records
- PowerColor RX Vega 64 Red Devil: factory overclocked Vega
- Outstanding Design and Performance - Deep Look into New MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider
- Mean:It 5PM ARC Blue Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Intel 15.X series Raid Rom compatible with X99??
- Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB & 480GB AIC NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- p8z77-v Deluxe won't boot after new install of Win 10
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ