Our second HD 6970 arrived and it was from no one other than AMD themselves. We knew that there was only one thing to do, though, and that was to Crossfire this bad boy. In October we saw the HD 6800s launch and when we tested them in Crossfire we were amazed at the awesome scaling the series was offering.
While we probably should've done the HD 6950 first, the bottom line was that I was just too excited to see what the HD 6970 could do, so I threw that to the top of the pile. I had my fingers crossed that the scaling we saw in the HD 6800 series was also going to show with the HD 6900s series. There was only one way to find out, though, and that was to test them.
Before we get into the performance side of things, we need to have a closer look at what exactly we've got on our hands today. Since this is a reference card from AMD, there's no package so we'll just be looking at the card itself. Once that's done we'll take a closer look at the specifications and make sure that Crossfire is up and running. Once we've done all the boring stuff, it's time to get into the good stuff.
Looking at the card, you're not really seeing anything you didn't see on the Sapphire one we looked at in our full review here. Technically you're seeing a little less since AMD don't put a sticker on the card.
There are no surprises when you spin around the card. The back holds two power connectors; one a 6-Pin and the other an 8-Pin. Still across the top, but closer to the front, we've got our Crossfire connectors which we'll be making use of today. Here we've also got our little switch that lets us change the BIOS. Finally, we've got connectivity to look at and that's two mini-DP 1.2 ports, HDMI 1.4 and two DVI ports (one Single-link and the other Dual-link).
You can't get more reference than a reference card from AMD, which means the default clocks are present. That means we've got an 880MHz core and the 2GB of GDDR5 carries that very nice sounding 5.5GHz QDR Clock.
Of course, the thing we want to make sure of the most is that Crossfire is enabled and as you can see down the bottom, we've got a two card Crossfire setup ready for action.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Card and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ex-BioWare boss wants to revitalize RPGs
- GTA 6 microtransactions likely, should follow GTA Online
- PUBG Corp made $920 million in 2018, 85% of cash from PC
- Take-Two CEO gets bonuses based on microtransaction earnings
- YouTuber makes working PC out of lasagna
- B450 Aorus Elite won't recognize Windows USB stick.
- [H270M-ITX/ac] Cannot POST with PCIE NIC card
- NVMe NAS Cache: Higher Speed or More Capacity?
- Scythe Kaze Flex 120 RGB Fan Review
- Synology DS1019 NAS Review
- Cooperative Level-Building Platformer Levelhead Launches into Steam Early Access Today
- Epic Games announce Fortnite World Cup - Creative!
- JUMP FORCE DLC Character Lineup Announced By Bandai Namco Entertainment America
- A New Hero Class Lays Track in Torchlight Frontiers - Meet The Railmaster!
- Plague Inc: Armageddon, the first expansion to Plague Inc: The Board Game, is now live on Kickstarter!