SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 Circuit Analysis Continued
ASUS is using the Realtek ALC1150 along with a Texas Instruments RC4580 audio amplifier for the headphone output. The audio trace paths are separated on different PCB levels, and the analog PCB signals are isolated from the rest of the motherboard.
The SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 has dual NICs. The first one is powered by Intel (i219v); the second is powered by Realtek (8111H).
The ASM1142 provides two USB 3.1 ports, including a single USB Type-C port. For the Type-C port to operate correctly, you need a type-C switch because the port is reversible. Some of these switches even provide higher USB Power Delivery specification support, in the case of the EJ179 it is 3A at 5V. Interestingly enough, ASUS is using two switches; the EJ179S and EJ179V. The EJ179V is like the EJ179S, but with integrated logic control. The EJ179S seems to be used for USB 3.0 ports located to the left of the USB 3.1 ports while the EJ179V is used for the USB 3.1 type-C port. For extra BLCK overclocking margins, an IDT 6V41538NLG is implemented.
A nuvoTon NCT6793D is the main SuperIO on the motherboard. It helps with fan control, voltage monitoring, and other system features. However, many other ICs are required to provide all the extra TUF functionality, such as microcontrollers to handle extra fan headers and the temperature sensor input. The chip labeled TUF provides three extra headers. The chip labeled TPU should help provide some of ASUS's other functionality such as overclocking. The chip labeled BIOS is probably in charge of the USB flashback functionality, so if something goes wrong with the single 128Mbit BIOS ROM, you can flash it with a USB stick loaded with the BIOS firmware.
An ASMedia ASM1061 provides the two off-white SATA ports. There are numerous ASM1480 PCI-E 3.0 quick switches used to switch bandwidth. The single switch in the image on the left switches SATA bandwidth to the M.2 slot. The four ASMedia 1480s on the right switch 8x of PCI-E 3.0 from the first PCI-E slot to the second if needed.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for $270 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £214 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Rocket League gets a new map and a DLC car
- Battlefield 1 dev said shovel digging might come back
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset