Temperatures, Cooling and Noise
The drawbacks of shoving a discrete video card into an Ultrabook chassis include shorter battery life and more heat, two things that a company has to be cognizant of when making the choice of what discrete GPU to use.
The NVIDIA 650M used by GIGABYTE is the same GPU that I have in my personal laptop. My personal laptop is much thicker, yet it still gets really hot. Part of this is due to the quad-core CPU, but some of it can be attributed to the GPU.
As you can see, on the front of the system, we logged a maximum temperature of 98 degrees Fahrenheit. This high temperature was located directly in the middle of the WSAD keys. The palm rests stayed a cool 75 degrees Fahrenheit. This is likely due to having a solid state drive, which produces minimal heat compared to a traditional disk drive.
Moving around to the back side, temperatures were even higher. The maximum observed temperature was 133 degrees Fahrenheit. This was observed directly above hot air exhaust port. The rest of the system ranged from 75 degrees to 108 degrees Fahrenheit. All of the hotter temperatures were towards the back of the system where the processor, GPU, and heatsink assembly are located.
The maximum observed GPU temperature was 79 degrees Celsius, a temperature well within the limits for a video card. The CPU reached a maximum of 84 degrees Celsius, a temperature that is on the high end of what a CPU should be running at, but still within a safe limit.
While gaming, one should avoid using this notebook on their laps, due to the high heat registered on the back near the exhaust vents. Normal web surfing or other low power tasks should be fine to use on the lap or other soft surface.
The GIGABYTE U2442F produced a sound level of 47 decibels in our measurement. Our measurement is taken in front of the laptop at roughly head level. For comparison, 30dB is a totally quiet night time in the desert, 40dB is whispering and 60dB is a normal conversation.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Disney-themed prosthetic hands are now a thing
- DARPA developing vehicle disappearing technology
- 'Toy Story 4' delayed by a whole year
- Samsung didn't infringe on NVIDIA patents, judge says
- Microsoft goes on tour with HoloLens AR demos
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- Help Updating GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0 Bios
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent