It looks like Samsung will be looking after you in the car with its upcoming flagship smartphone, with Dutch website KopenGalaxyS5 posting a leaked screenshot teasing a new "Driving Mode" for the Galaxy S5.
The new Driving Mode will let you use voice commands to do basic functions on the Galaxy S5 without the need of your hands, these commands will include answering your phone, getting turn-by-turn navigation and playing your tunes. You'll be able to do all of this by simply saying "Hi Galaxy" while the Galaxy S5 is sitting in Driving Mode.
This will work very close to how Google Now accepts commands by saying "OK Google", and how Google Glass does things by accepting commands by saying "OK Glass".
Yahoo is changing things up considerably, with Reuters reporting that the company will soon be removing the option of signing into Yahoo services using your Facebook or Google account - options that have been there for years.
Starting with "Yahoo Sports Tourney Pick 'Em", a fantasy college basketball service, which Yahoo will remove Facebook and Google sign-ins, and soon after, the rest of its services. Yahoo haven't exactly explained the reasoning behind this, but we can presume that its services aren't as lucrative as Google and Facebook's services.
Yahoo ID holders will have their accounts and history looked at more closely, so the company can better monetize them - just like its competition does. A Yahoo representative reached out to The Verge, who said: "This new process, which now asks users to sign in with a Yahoo username, will allow us to offer the best personalized experience to everyone".
BlackBerry's CEO, John Chen, has been very honest about the problems his company faces coming back into a now very tightly controlled smartphone market. Chen talked about it previously, where he compared it to a sick patient in desperate need of emergency surgery.
During a recent interview with The Financial Times, Chen said that BlackBerry's odds of making a comeback sit at around 50%, with everything coming down to how well he, and his team execute it all. The CEO said that losing key corporate and government clients hurt the company, but he has always had a goal of keeping new customers by providing superior services and products that focus on "our heritage and roots - delivering enterprise-grade, end-to-end mobile solutions".
Chen's plan to turn things around involves multiple parts: selling low-end smartphones, where it will leverage its partnership with Foxconn, monetizing its BBM messaging platform, and becoming a much bigger player in the cross-platform corporate mobile device management market. Company finances are expected to be stabilized by 2015, with Chen hoping that the company is profitable after that.
The full trailer to Michael Bay's upcoming Transformers: Age of Extinction is here, with the fourth trailer in the robots-who-turn-into-cars franchise ditching Shia LeBeouf for Mark Wahlberg.
Transformers: Age of Extinction is a new start for the franchise, with Bay not referring to the new movie as a reboot. It does feature a new look for Optimus Prime, and most of the autobots. Dinobots are also featured, which is a new direction for the Transformers movies. Transformers: Age of Extinction hits theaters on June 27, 2014.
On the publicity hustings for the 300 sequel, Rise of an Empire, Director Zack Snyder has had ample opportunity to refute recent claims by veteran Hollywood producer Joel Silver that the script to his 2009 adaptation of Alan Moore's Watchmen was inferior to one produced years earlier, for an aborted version by eccentric ex-Monty Python star and Director Terry Gilliam.
Commenting to the Huffington Post, Snyder has revealed "Honestly, I made Watchmen for myself. It's probably my favorite movie that I've made... So, finally I made it to save it from the Terry Gilliam's of this world".
Snyder continued to disparage the previous script by stating: "The Gilliam version, if you look at it, it has nothing to do with the idea that is the end of the graphic novel. And that's the thing that I would go, 'Well, then don't do it.' It doesn't make any sense".
During Gabe Newell's AMA on Reddit, the Valve boss confirmed that Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is coming to Linux. Newell said: "It's being worked on but we don't have an ETA".
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive was released in August 2012, on Windows, Mac, PlayStation Network, and Xbox Live Arcade. It was the first version of Counter-Strike to land on consoles, which included updates to classic modes and maps from the original Counter-Strike, as well as a slew of new content.
A Linux-capable version of Counter-Strike would make sense, as SteamOS is built from the groundwork of the open-source OS. Newell was of course asked about Half-Life 3, but was very coy about it, he said: "When we announced our products years in advance in the past and then were really late delivering them, it was pretty painful for both us and the community. We'd rather not repeat that".
It looks like AMD is forging through with plans to dominate the desktop in emerging markets, where the chipmaker has just announced its new AM1 chipset. The AM1 chipset is a system-on-chip (SoC) for the developing market.
The AM1 part is a sibling of the Kabini family of chips, something that AMD launched last year with both dual- and quad-core CPUs and GPUs on the same chipset. This is similar to what was baked into Sony's PlayStation 4, and Microsoft's Xbox One. Kabini was developed mostly for portables, but AMD wants to see the new AM1 take on the low-cost, expandable desktop market.
Where AMD has it in the bag is the price, which starts at just $60 for the chipset and motherboard combined. We should see AM1 limited to just 25W maximum power draw from the chipset, but a restriction of PCIe 2.0. AMD has taken some swings at Intel, comparing it to Intel's Bay Trail platform, which AMD says AM1 beats with higher memory speeds, 16GB memory support, an upgradeable socket, and Windows XP support. AMD declares: "Avoid a dead-end platform and choose AMD".
Things are not looking up for Bitcoins much these days and the cryptocurrency was dealt yet another blow today when Flexcoin announced that it has ceased operations and closed its doors for ever. Flexcoin was the first Bitcoin "bank" that operated much in the same manner as traditional banks do. Flexcoin announced today that on Sunday, March 2nd hackers breached the company's security and managed to steal 896 Bitcoins, valued at more than $620,000 USD.
Not all accounts at Flexcoin were compromised though, and it appears that only the hot wallet was breached, leaving thousands of bitcoins in cold storage untouched and safe due to them not being connected to the network. Customer's who chose to store their coins in cold storage payed an additional 0.5-percent for the added security and it looks like it paid off.
Bitcoin's disappearing or being stolen is quickly becoming the norm these days. Another firm named Polonix has also announced that 12.5-percent of its stored bitcoins were stolen by hackers, but said that it would be replacing the coins with those from its own reserve. With major failures of big names in Bitcoin, can the cryptocurrency remain a viable and trustworthy digital currency solution? If it were me with millions tied up in bitcoins, I would sell the majority of them as fast as possible and run far away from Bitcoins as possible.
About 95% of U.S. banks are using Windows XP for ATMs. That could be troubling as Microsoft plans to shut down tech support for this operating system on April 8. Microsoft will no longer provide security updates for Windows XP.
U.S. Banks and ATM experts are taking this seriously. If banks are unable to complete upgrading all of its ATMs with the newer Windows OS by April, customers might be at risk of being exposed to any kinds of patch holes if any security flaw was found after Microsoft axes its support. This will be a good opportunity for hackers to exploit many ATMs, so its a race against time for a majority of banks.
Peggle was one of those games that you could not just spend a few minutes playing. I remember many nights spent trying to top my high scores and making the pegs disappear with as little balls as possible. The game grew to be so popular that entire websites popped up with hints and guides on how to beat it with as few moves as possible. When Microsoft announced that Peggle was returning during its Xbox One launch event, I was one of millions who instantly became excited.
Today Electronic Arts announced that Peggle 2 would be headed to the Xbox 360 on May 7th of 2014. The game will include Peggle Masters as well as a Duel mode in which players can challenge their friends in a heads up dual to see who can clear their pegs first. "With all the excitement from our fans in December at launch we knew we wanted to continue growing the Peggle universe starting with more content and then expand onto the Xbox 360," said John Vechey, General Manager at PopCap Games. "By offering the addition of Duel Mode, our fans will be able to challenge their friends continuously to find out who is the ultimate 'Peggle Master'."