When I first got hands-on with the Hydro G PRO, I was a bit unsure as the Hydro PTM seemed kind of a strange entry, and I wasn't sure why the hydro name would be used on an air-cooled PSU with no option for liquid cooling. However, after testing, I can say that the Hydro G PRO holds it's own and delivers power well above a loading I would ever recommend for a 1000W unit.
Now for what we like about the Hydro G PRO PSU, I would start with the fact that it handled way more load than it really should. Add to this the textured exterior, which helps hide blemishes and fingerprints. The useful mix of peripheral connectors on the modular cables will help those with devices that still use Molex (PATA). Overall the styling is subdued enough; it will fit into any blacked out build while looking just fine in a showcase enthusiast build. The additional stickers are not my style, but I'm sure many out there will find them cool for their usage.
There's not a ton to say I would not like about the Hydro G PRO. One thing would be the lack of included zip ties which most PSUs come with, but they do include a few Velcro straps which you saw when the cables were bundled. Overall, it's a PSU, and it does PSU things just fine.
At the price point of $165.99, I do not see any reason why we could not recommend the Hydro G PRO from FSP; it's merely a stable supply that does what it should. Much like the mighty ant, the Hydro G PRO we have on hand today can lift far more than its weight in our testing.
FSP delivers a reliable PSU option in the Hydro G PRO, offering reliable performance, protection, and everything you would need for a gaming or workstation rig.
Shannon's Power Supply Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (buy from Amazon)
- CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (buy from Amazon)
- Cooler: Custom Alphacool CPU Liquid Cooling (buy from Amazon)
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz 32GB (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN V (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN Xp Collectors Edition (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti (buy from Amazon)
- Storage: SanDisk M.2 256GB
- Power Supply: FSP Hydro G PRO 1000W (buy from Amazon)
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (buy from Amazon)
The Bottom Line
FSP made quite the stout PSU option with the Hydro G PRO 1000W. The supply can exceed its capabilities with stability and performance to keep your PC running for years to come.