Seagate is constantly evolving its product lineup by adding capacity, new technologies, or a design refresh. In its latest refresh, we find the Backup Plus lineup with both a design and price update.
The Backup Plus lineup is direct competition to the MyPassport range of solutions from WD. With that, Seagate is on a near constant refresh cycle with the latest update offering lower pricing and a change in design.
For the Slim model in house, we have 1 and 2TB capacity options now offered in Light Blue, Black, and Silver aesthetics. The enclosures used are plastic with an inlay of colored aluminum and USB 3.0 connectivity via micro-B. Adding to this package, Seagate includes both Mylio Create and Adobe Creative Cloud trials with the drive
Compatibility includes Windows 7 and 10, along with macOS 10.12.4 and later. MSRP of the Seagate Backup Plus Slim in the 2TB capacity reached $99.99 with a two-year warranty.
Packaging sticks with orange on a white box, capacity at the top right.
The back goes into more detail in several languages.
Included in the box; we have the USB 3.0 cable, drive, and reading materials.
The drive sent to us for review was the silver 2TB model. As you can see, we have Seagate branding and LED along the top.
The edge houses the micro-B USB 3.0 port.
Given the drive used internally in the Backup Plus lineup is 5400RPM, I was quite surprised to see 132 MB/s read and write, hence the mention of an increase in performance.
Overall, the Backup Plus Slim still offers a mix of durability with low-cost materials. The plastic enclosure is good enough to handle a few drops, and the metal inlays offer a bit of appeal to the drives.
Performance has gotten a slight bump this generation, up from the 125 MB/s of last gen to 132 MB/s currently. Adding to this is the software package that gives automated backup tools along with adobe creative cloud and Mylio.
As far as pricing, Seagate really takes advantage of being the OEM offering its 2TB capacity at $99 with retailers discounting even heavier as you can see below.
Tyler's Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370 (buy from Amazon)
- CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K (buy from Amazon)
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 4x8GB DDR4 3200 (buy from Amazon)
- Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i (buy from Amazon)
- Case: Corsair Air 540 (buy from Amazon)
- OS Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB (buy from Amazon)
- Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (buy from Amazon)
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 (buy from Amazon)
- Wi-Fi NIC: ASUS PCE-AC88 (buy from Amazon)
- 10Gbe NIC: ASUS XG-C100C (buy from Amazon)
- Thunderbolt 3: ASUS Thunderbolt EX3 (buy from Amazon)
The Bottom Line
The latest generation of Backup Plus Slim offers a small bump in performance, new aesthetics and 10-15$ price drop across the board.
Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HD
|Today||Yesterday||7 days ago||30 days ago|
* Prices last scanned on 12/31/1969 at 6:00 pm CDT - prices may not be accurate, please click for very latest pricing