Page 8[Overclocking and Power Consumption]
We measure at the 8-pin power connector, and we see some pretty high power consumption as we did with the 2700X and PBOD. It could be motherboard vendors didn't securely power lock the CPU, but we do see that default power limits are set at 95W for PL1 and 118W at PL2, which is in line with a 15% decrease in converter power efficiency costs. The CPU will pull roughly 20-25W more than 95W if you use an AVX load at 100% on all cores at stock, and while that isn't too much, it is 25% more than what you might expect.
A nice overclock I found was with 1.33v set with LLC Turbo level, 5.2GHz, XMP enabled, and I didn't mess with TJMax offset, although Intel has added that into the base UEFI code so you can increase it as the CPU can get pretty hot over 5GHz. I think Intel has added the ability to increase TJMax to 115C from 100C because they changed from paste to solder, which is a much quicker and better way to move heat from the die to the cooler. However, 100C is listed as junction temperature, so I decided to stay on the safe side of things with my CPU and not try and mess with throttle points. The CPU overclocks just as easy as Sandy Bridge and to the same frequencies.
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019 at 01:16 pm CST
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider & More]
- Page 7 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 8 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]