The structure on the left shows how the 2950X is configured, and on the right, we have the configuration of the 2990WX. Two things to take away; the 2950X's configuration is the same as the 1950X's configuration (for the most part), and the 2990WX is a new topology specifically designed for the WX-series of CPUs. The 2990WX has two dies that have access to local memory and two dies that don't. AMD calls these IO dies, and compute dies that are kind of like extra calculators with access to main memory (which has to be pooled in this case) through Infinity Fabric connections to the other dies.
Since each die has a connection to all other dies, we can call this a mesh topology. In the WX configuration, the number of links from each die is lowered, and so is the bi-directional die to die bandwidth. The 2950X's Infinity Fabric runs up to 50GB/s at 3200MHz DDR4 (since Infinity Fabric speed is linked to memory speed) and the 2990WX's Infinity Fabric runs at 25GB/s at 3200MHz DDR4. The difference in connectivity between dies can have an impact on memory dependent configurations. AMD says that they are working with Microsoft to optimize Window's scheduler to handle the compute die cores better.
Browsing Reddit has led me to believe that some might benefit from an explanation of what AMD's boosting mechanisms actually do. For starters, we have XFR2, which now can boost all cores. AMD's XFR2 uses temperature as its main guiding factor, and XFR2 can boost the CPU up as long as you can provide it a low enough operating temperature. We also have Precision Boost, which is AMD's default boost mechanism. However, we also have Precision Boost Overdrive, which basically removes the TDP rating restrictions by alleviating power consumption restrictions, and we saw it greatly improve the performance and power draw of the CPU.
There is a catch with Precision Boost Overdrive; it does void your warranty. It's considered overclocking, but overclocking controlled by the CPU's many internal sensors and AMD's custom developed algorithm. You can manually overclock the CPU. Now, Precision Boost Overdrive works off three pieces of information; the package power target (PPT), thermal design current (TDC), and electrical design current (EDC). The PPT is a limit on the total power that can be delivered to the CPU, the TDC is the sustained current (not total power) that can be delivered by the motherboard's VRM, and the EDC is the peak current that the motherboard's VRM can provide the CPU. These numbers can be found in the new Ryzen Master software application, and a few of them are self-reported by the motherboard...
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX and 2950X retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX and 2950X retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Threadripper Technologies]
- Page 3 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake, ScienceMark & More]
- Page 6 [Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider & More]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 25-years of DOOM celebrated with DOOM update for Switch
- Peter Jackson could help Amazon's Lord Of The Rings TV show
- Stardew Valley on Switch receives Multiplayer Update Dec 12
- Smash Bros. Ultimate director discusses 3rd-party characters
- Smash Bros. UItimate is fastest-selling Switch game so far
- How To use Cerisea Medica Pain Relief ?
- AORUS LED i2c control?
- SMG Studio Unpacks Chaotic Cooperative Moving Simulator
- Digital Extremes' Warframe Brings Good Karma And Fortuna To PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Today
- Capcom Announces Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Expansion For Acclaimed, Record-Breaking Action RPG Coming Autumn 2019
- White Box Vendors Losing Share in 100 GE Data Center Switching Market During 2018, According to Dell'Oro Group
- LSAC Announces Technology Collaboration with Microsoft