So AMD's Ryzen Master 1.3 brings a lot of improvements and new features to the table, including Precision Boost Overdrive, which is like multi-core enhancement for AMD. To overclock, you need to switch to one of the profiles, and then click the circle to the right of the setting. To change the frequency you need to change Control Mode to Manual from Auto, and then you can increase core frequency, and you can select all core if you want to change all cores at the same time. We booted into Windows with our memory OCed to 3600MHz and CPU to 4.0GHz and then boosted up cores only to see how high we could get in Windows while running HandBrake.
We used to set our VCore to 1.36v with our Ryzen CPUs, now we set 1.35v and leave LLC on auto allowing the voltage to drop to around 1.32v under AVX load in HandBrake. Overclocking the memory was very easy, we loaded a type of XMP (in the ASUS board it's call DOCP), which set our kit to 3400Mhz, and then we increase the memory multiplier to 36x to get 3600Mhz. We could have tightened timings down to CAS 13 and we could have tweaked tFAW to get much better latency results, but we decided to just keep XMP timings. Our 2700X was able to maintain 4.25GHz while our 2600X was able to do 4.275GHz since it has a lower TDP and fewer cores (lower temperature).
Temperatures will be your biggest limiting point (remember the 2700X has a 10C offset while the 2600X has none), and your cooling will determine how far you go. We used a Corsair H100i liquid cooler. We also attended an event where AMD Ryzen 2nd Generation was being overclocked, there eight motherboards, two from each vendor, and half of the systems used air coolers while the other used water coolers. From that testing and looking around, we saw that by using an all-in-one you could gain you 50-150MHz compared to a high-end air cooler.
These numbers are measured at the 8-pin connector, which feeds the CPU power, and we can see that AMD has basically tweaked the voltage/frequency curve to favor performance over power efficiency. You can't just compare nanometer sizes, so while Global Foundries might call their process 12nmLP, it doesn't mean it's more power efficient than Intel's 14nm process. With these new CPUs AMD has basically unleashed the full performance of their Zen microarchitecture with leakier transistors, but much better performance gains.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Process and Product Improvements]
- Page 3 [Cooler and Platform Improvements]
- Page 4 [The CPUs and Coolers]
- Page 5 [Test Setup]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and More]
- Page 8 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and More]
- Page 9 [Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and More]
- Page 10 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- It costs $600 to unlock everything in Red Dead Online
- Over-monetization will kill Fallout 76
- Heroes of the Storm isn't dead, it's just slowing down
- PS4 sales hit 88 million, surpass PS3
- Relying solely on eSports is risky for competitors
- Core HT 231D - replacement CPU fan
- ASRock z390 Taichi v1.80 BIOS SSD issues
- ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 and Intel AC 9260 WiFi card
- Areca ARC-8050U3 USB-C RAID DAS Review
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Symbaroum: Yndaros - The Darkest Star expansion Released Today
- Enjoy the Winter Season of R.O.H.A.N.: Blood Feud
- Warlords Awakening release surprises for Christmas
- The Switchblade Christmas Update Is Out Now
- Great Britain & Ireland DLC Out Now For Railway Empire