For well over three years Samsung has dominated the SATA SSD market with their potent 850 Series SSDs. When first introduced, nothing delivered performance that was even close to what the 850 Series served up. Over time though, the competition has been inching closer, but still no one has been able to snatch the SATA SSD performance crown from Samsung. We didn't think Samsung would offer another SATA SSD beyond the 850 Series, but here it is...the 860 Pro.
Samsung designed a new controller to power the 860 Pro. This controller is designated MJX. Samsung's new MJX controller offers many improvements over previous models including expanded system compatibility, a refined ECC algorithm and improved queued TRIM for Linux systems. Powered by Samsung's MJX controller and paired with Samsung's latest 64-layer 2-bit V-NAND technology, the 860 Pro delivers endurance that is up to 8x better than the 850 Pro.
Samsung states that the 860 Pro's new feature set assures long-term dependable performance with minimal degradation. Compared to its predecessor, the 850 Pro, the 860 Pro provides up to 25% better-sustained workload performance, along with class-leading sequential read/write speeds of up to 560/530 MB/s.
When you buy a Samsung SSD it comes with all the trimmings. The 860 Pro Series is fully compatible with Samsung Data Migration and Samsung Magician software. Both are free for 860 Pro users. Samsung Data Migration software allows you to easily migrate your OS and all of the data contained on your system disk to your new 860 Pro with a couple of clicks. Samsung Magician software is SSD toolbox software that makes monitoring and maintaining your Samsung SSD a simple task. With Magician, you can automatically update firmware, check your SSDs health status, overprovision the drive, optimize the OS for SSD use, check performance, secure erase and encrypt your Samsung SSD.
On the surface Samsung's 860 Pro looks to be the best performing SATA SSD ever made, let's get into the review and see for ourselves if it actually is.
The 1TB model we have in the lab sports the following specifications:
- Sequential Read: up to 560 MB/s
- Sequential Write: up to 530 MB/s
- Max 4K QD32 Random Read: up to 100,000 IOPS
- Max 4K QD32 Random Write: up to 90,000 IOPS
- 4K QD1 Read: up to 11,000 IOPS
- 4K QD1 Write: up to 43,000 IOPS
- Endurance: 1,200 TBW
- MTTF: 2 Million Hours
- Warranty: 5-Year Limited Warranty
- Avg. Active Power: 2.2W
- DEVSLP 2.5mW
- Garbage Collection
- Software: Samsung Magician, Samsung Migration Software
Availability: Currently selling at retail outlets.
Pricing: 1TB $479.99
Samsung's 860 Pro is available in capacities ranging from 256GB - 4TB
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Marvel's Spider-Man gameplay launch trailer unveiled early
- Nintendo smashes Sony in total hardware sales: 700 million+
- NVIDIA's new RTX technology powers ray traced Porsche
- Lenovo's new ThinkPad: up to 17-inch, Quadro GPU, Xeon CPU
- NVIDIA teases next-gen GeForce in 'Be For The Game' video
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Z97-UD5H-BK: Modded BIOS for NVME support
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $1,300
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX and 2950X Review
- My windows get blue screens after i installed bios version F7 on gigabyte z97x gaming 5
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market