The 6-core 8700K uses Intel's 14nm++ transistors that offer much higher overclocking margins. While increasing core count typically hinders the overclockability of a CPU, here we find that we could hit 5GHz just like on a 7700K with roughly the same voltage, and that is due to the 14nm++ process. That is huge; 6-core and 12-threads running at 5GHz is an intense thing, and with AVX nonetheless, as HandBrake uses AVX and we didn't use an AVX offset.
We used 1.32v set with Turbo level LLC and set our memory to XMP enable. Intel also made some improvements to platform overclocking. They added back the ability to change memory timings in Windows (something they removed a few generations back), added in some PPL trim voltages for the extreme guys, and ensured the platform's power delivery was up to the job by requiring better VRMs and activating more power contacts in the socket.
The 8700K draws only 6W more from the 8-pin power connector than the 7700K, which isn't a crazy increase for having two extra cores. They basically packed in two extra cores with a tiny bit more power consumption, but they have also dropped frequency to stay within TDP limits.
When you overclock, expect to see a much larger delta, as all your cores will be pegged up to a higher frequency, and you will have two extra cores to deal with.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Vive Pro's recommended PC specs may get bumped up
- Sony and Nike make official PS2 shoes
- Games industry may make $170 billion in 2018, firm predicts
- GIGABYTE release new Gemini Lake based J/N motherboards
- God of War director confirms no season pass for the release
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Z270 Extreme 4 post issue
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series