The 6-core 8700K uses Intel's 14nm++ transistors that offer much higher overclocking margins. While increasing core count typically hinders the overclockability of a CPU, here we find that we could hit 5GHz just like on a 7700K with roughly the same voltage, and that is due to the 14nm++ process. That is huge; 6-core and 12-threads running at 5GHz is an intense thing, and with AVX nonetheless, as HandBrake uses AVX and we didn't use an AVX offset.
We used 1.32v set with Turbo level LLC and set our memory to XMP enable. Intel also made some improvements to platform overclocking. They added back the ability to change memory timings in Windows (something they removed a few generations back), added in some PPL trim voltages for the extreme guys, and ensured the platform's power delivery was up to the job by requiring better VRMs and activating more power contacts in the socket.
The 8700K draws only 6W more from the 8-pin power connector than the 7700K, which isn't a crazy increase for having two extra cores. They basically packed in two extra cores with a tiny bit more power consumption, but they have also dropped frequency to stay within TDP limits.
When you overclock, expect to see a much larger delta, as all your cores will be pegged up to a higher frequency, and you will have two extra cores to deal with.
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019 at 01:16 pm CST
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 7 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 8 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]