The 6-core 8700K uses Intel's 14nm++ transistors that offer much higher overclocking margins. While increasing core count typically hinders the overclockability of a CPU, here we find that we could hit 5GHz just like on a 7700K with roughly the same voltage, and that is due to the 14nm++ process. That is huge; 6-core and 12-threads running at 5GHz is an intense thing, and with AVX nonetheless, as HandBrake uses AVX and we didn't use an AVX offset.
We used 1.32v set with Turbo level LLC and set our memory to XMP enable. Intel also made some improvements to platform overclocking. They added back the ability to change memory timings in Windows (something they removed a few generations back), added in some PPL trim voltages for the extreme guys, and ensured the platform's power delivery was up to the job by requiring better VRMs and activating more power contacts in the socket.
The 8700K draws only 6W more from the 8-pin power connector than the 7700K, which isn't a crazy increase for having two extra cores. They basically packed in two extra cores with a tiny bit more power consumption, but they have also dropped frequency to stay within TDP limits.
When you overclock, expect to see a much larger delta, as all your cores will be pegged up to a higher frequency, and you will have two extra cores to deal with.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 being developed with esports in mind
- Intel reportedly 'kills off' its upcoming 10nm process
- Jump Force features original Akira Toriyama character 'Kane'
- Project Monolith - action adventure title for all platforms
- Crackdown 3 will be playable at Xbox FanFest 2018
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Akitio Thunder3 Dock Pro Review
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam