Page 11[Overclocking and Power Consumption]
Overclocking is perhaps the strongest feature of the 7700K, and Intel has gone a bit further and added in some new settings for the 7700K. The first is the AVX Offset Ratio. Programs that use AVX such as IntelBurnTest spike power consumption and require more voltage to stay stable than non-AVX programs, so Intel has added in an AVX offset so that when an AVX program runs, the maximum overclock is reduced to avoid instability.
So while you game you can run at 5GHz, and when you want to run IntelBurnTest you can set a -200Mhz offset and the CPU frequency will drop to 4.8GHz for IntelBurnTest. The next thing Intel added is BCLK award adaptive voltage/frequency curve, and that should help simplify overclocking voltage levels.
The first thing I do is validate the CPU at the maximum frequency I can reach. In this case, I had to use Intel's Xtreme Tuning Utility to change the ratio in voltage after booting into Windows to 1.4v VCore (that's high for Kaby Lake). Since Sandy Bridge I haven't been able to easily validate 5.2GHz, Kaby Lake did it on the first try. Not only that, I could validate 5.3GHz on a really good chip if I had a program other than ITXU.
ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE (AORUS), and MSI all have reviews coming out soon. One of my new stability tests is for the system to attain 5GHz stable with a Corsair H110i AIO water cooling system and a 1.3v VCore. Every single motherboard I have tested so far has been able to attain 5GHz stability, which in this test means transcoding a 4GB 4K video to 1080p.
Did I mention in every case AVX Offset was not used, and the system ran 5GHz even when AVX was used? Results I have seen from MSI and ASUS's internal testing indicate that more than half of the CPUs they tested could run 5GHz stable with temperatures not peaking over 80C as long as a good cooler was used - that is excellent news.
Out of the box, with the 4.5GHz turbo, the 7700K uses a decent amount of power. Sometimes we forget that voltage alone doesn't increase power consumption, current increases from frequency increases does as well.
When we equalize the 6700K and 7700K, their power consumption numbers are basically identical.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [7700K, Z270 Motherboards, and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box: CINEBENCH, wPrime, AIDA64 EE AES, and FPU]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box: Handbrake Video Transcoding and ScienceMark]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box iGPU: GPGPU, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box dGPU: GTA:V, UNIGINE, Resident Evil, 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Clock for Clock: CINEBENCH, wPrime, AIDA64 EE AES, and FPU]
- Page 8 [Clock for Clock: Handbrake Video Transcoding and ScienceMark]
- Page 9 [Clock for Clock: GPGPU, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, and 3DMark]
- Page 10 [Clock for Clock dGPU: GTA:V, UNIGINE, Resident Evil, 3DMark]
- Page 11 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 12 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 being developed with esports in mind
- Intel reportedly 'kills off' its upcoming 10nm process
- Jump Force features original Akira Toriyama character 'Kane'
- Project Monolith - action adventure title for all platforms
- Crackdown 3 will be playable at Xbox FanFest 2018
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Akitio Thunder3 Dock Pro Review
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam