Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing
In our time looking at just about every kind of peripheral there is out there in the market, we have yet to come across a product quite like this. We do know that the technology exists to make something like this possible, and we are also aware of one keyboard which offered this adaptation of Bluetooth ability, but we would not have considered the KBTalking Pro to be a "gaming" product as well. What we are alluding to here is that with everything else being connected in your house via Bluetooth, why not use your desktop keyboard to be able to type on your mobile devices as well? Now, there are many standalone keyboards on the market which can be used for mobile devices, many of them you would not want to use day to day on a desktop, nor would we want to try to game very long on them either.
ROCCAT in their endless pursuit to come up with innovative and market changing ideas has developed a keyboard to do exactly this. The idea was to use all of the features in their typical offerings, yet without getting too far out of the box, making life easier for many customers out there who happen to use their phone or tablet just as much as they use their desktop. More specifically, those who want to do both at once, but don't want to constantly reach for the mobile device and using the tiny keyboards offered with this type of device. With just the press of a button, you can swap from the keyboard to the mobile device after they have been paired. On top of this, ROCCAT took it a step further and offers another button which will accept phone calls, and allow you to use headset or speakers and a microphone to process calls as well.
As we look the SKELTR smart communications gaming keyboard, we will not only be discussing what makes this a gaming product, but also what makes this design special and unique. ROCCAT has always been a leader in our mind, especially when it comes to new ideas or ideas that we later find the market moving to as well. The SKELTR is the epitome of just such an idea. While there will be some who may dismiss a product such as this, for those who deal with many devices and the PC during the day, they all know the struggle is real. For those of you who wish to bring convenience and ease of access to your office or gaming situation, we strongly urge you to carry on with this review, as ROCCAT has a serious solution which will lessen the stress and ease your day to day struggles.
The specifications offered from ROCCAT about the SKELTR are basic, but provide just enough to get the point across. ROCCAT provides the SKELTR with a trio of Thumbster keys and also offers five programmable Macro keys as well. It also uses the Easy-Shift system, which allows for a whole other layer of control across the device. The keyboard has multimedia keys, and of course, to coordinate with mobile devices, it has Bluetooth V3.0 in it as well. The cable connecting the SKELTR to the PC is braided and is 1.8 meters in length, where the accessory wires are rubberized. There is 512KB of onboard memory to store profiles and Macros, and the entire system is under the control of a 32-bit ARM MCU. We also see that the SKELTR comes with a 1000Hz polling rate option, but most important to many customers is that the SKELTR is based on membrane switches.
System requirement state that this is a Windows-only device, but that is only for the PC side. As for connectivity, the SKELTR will pair with Windows, Android, and iOS devices easily. To bring up the level of features, ROCCAT has incorporated many other things as well. There is a universal docking slot which will hold just about any mobile device, and of course, you can type to said device, as well as managing calls from it too. The typing is near silent, there is RGB illumination, a detachable wrist rest, but to go along with mobile devices, there is an audio cable included that uses a 3.5mm jack, as well as having a built-in charging system for these devices. There is also support for the usual suspects such as TALK FX and AlienFX, but this is the only device we have had in our hands from ROCCAT which is fully supported by the ROCCAT SWARM mobile app as well.
With everything ROCCAT packed into this keyboard, we do see that a piece hike is included as well, and this may be the most expensive rubber dome keyboard we have ever used. Availability at this time is quite high, and it can be found through many retail channels as we are writing this up. What we are seeing is that pricing is pretty close to one another no matter where you decide to shop, but Newegg is offering slightly more than $5 off the Amazon listing. We saw that the SKELTR was listing at Amazon for $159.99, while at Newegg, the price is currently set to $154.88. Indeed there is a bit of sticker shock included with a purchase such as this, but the SLKETR smart communication gaming keyboard is not your average rubber dome offering either.
Chad's Peripherals Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K - Buy from Amazon
- Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: KLevv Cras DDR4 3000 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Intel 730 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: SilverStone TJ11 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
PRICING: You can find the ROCCAT SKELTR Smart Communication Gaming Keyboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ROCCAT SKELTR Smart Communication Gaming Keyboard retails for $160 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ROCCAT SKELTR Smart Communication Gaming Keyboard retails for £150 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging, Accessories, and Documentation]
- Page 3 [ROCCAT SKELTR Smart Communication Gaming Keyboard]
- Page 4 [SKELTR Continued]
- Page 5 [Inside the SKELTR]
- Page 6 [SWARM Software]
- Page 7 [SWARM Mobile App]
- Page 8 [Gaming and General Impressions]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 creative director leaves, should we be concerned?
- New Obi-Wan Star Wars show coming on Disney+, Ewan McGregor to star
- Epic Games Store is changing for the better
- Destiny 2's crunch will help streamline Destiny 3
- RNGesus blesses Destiny 2 with new expansive Armor 2.0 update
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Vulcan X OC-V Review
- BIOS 5.40 Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
- Problems during Start Up
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director