NZXT Kraken X61 CPU Cooler
At the receiving end of the Kraken X61, the head unit is what takes the heat from the CPU. In this kit, we see that there is the NZXT name and partial circles that are opaque, and are ready to be backlit with LEDs. We also see that the Intel mounting hardware is pre-installed to the head unit.
To the right of the NZXT naming, on the side of the head unit, you will run into the pair of ninety degree swivel fittings that allow the coolant to pass through and remove heat. Just to the right of those, we also see three leads that are sleeved with black braid.
Flipping the head unit upward so we can look at the base, we find a plastic cover snapped over the mounting hardware that not only protects the base from scratches, but also allowed the pre-applied paste on it to arrive unmolested, clean of debris, and ready to mount.
The paste is applied in a textured pattern, and is round in its application. It covers the contact area, plus some, and will cover any current processor on the market.
To keep all coolers fair with each other, we remove the stock paste, and use the same paste for everyone. With it removed, you can see the circular milling marks get smaller and smaller until they reach a point in the center. The base is higher in the middle than at the edge, and is not flat, or very level.
Before we leave the head unit, we also wanted to spread out the wiring to see what is needed to connect. The three-pin pump power lead is nine inches long, the fan lead is ten and a half inches long, with a similar length to the SATA plug that comes from it. To gain control of the AIO, you also need to run the twenty-four inches of USB 2.0 cable, and connect it to the motherboard.
The specifications claimed there is sixteen inches of tubing from the radiator to the head unit, but with ours, we see fifteen and a half inches. This is still longer than any other, and close enough in our book.
As for the 280mm radiator, it is made from black painted aluminium, and as you can see, the dimensions are closer to 300mm in length, and near 145mm in width.
Looking at the header, we find a 30mm thick radiator, but the fin arrangement is only 27mm thick. We also see that to the right end of the sticker, the Kraken X61 draws 15W in total to cool your processor.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [NZXT Kraken X61 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [NZXT CAM Software Tutorial]
- Page 7 [NZXT CAM Software Usability]
- Page 8 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests and Noise Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows Store being re-branded as Microsoft Store
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Vivendi may take over Ubisoft in November
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM