Typically, pico or small form factor flash drives are few and far between. As of late, however, things seem to be picking up a bit with SuperTalent, PQI, and even Corsair jumping into the market with small form factor solutions.
Leef is one that enjoys creating products catered directly to what customers want. In fact, that pretty much sums up the company motto. Today, we have one of the latest products from Leef in house in the form of the Magnet 3.0. The Magnet 3.0 is a USB 3.0 flash drive, with capacities ranging from 16GB to 64GB, based on the traditional capped design, though Leef has thrown a twist on this design.
Compatibility of the Magnet 3.0 extends to modern Windows operating systems and OS X. MSRP for the 16GB capacity in house today is listed at $14.99 with a five-year warranty.
Above, we have our first look at the Leef Magnet 3.0. As you can, see it's a rather small flash drive. The left end of the drive carries a white LED that shines through the clear plastic to denote activity.
The backside of the drive carries a "designed in California" stamp.
Here we have a look at the USB 3.0 port and cap for the drive. If you haven't put it together by now, the Leef Magnet 3.0 is a magnetic capped design where the cap is held to the drive connector by a small, moderately powerful magnet.
The Leef Magnet 3.0 is factory formatted with the FAT32 file-system. Usable capacity after formatting is 14.9GB.
Above, we have the results from our testing of the Leef Magnet 3.0. As you can see, the drive does quite well with reads at 100 MB/s, while writes are pretty dismal at just 13 MB/s.
In our price/performance chart, the Leef landed towards the bottom, just one spot ahead of the SuperTalent Pico. Even with its excellent price, the performance just wasn't enough to bring it further up on the chart.
Like all Leef products, the Magnet 3.0 carries an excellent design along with top-notch build quality. Unfortunately, it seems as if they put the entire budget into the aesthetics of the drive without much left over to go into the performance. Yes, the drive does great with read speed, in fact it touched 100 MB/s, but the write performance is pretty bad. We managed just 13MB/s on a drive that is meant for the USB 3.0 platform.
With that said, not all is lost. The drive would be great for someone that occasionally moves documents or pictures back and forth between PCs, or maybe a movie once in awhile. The fact is simple, if you have the patience to wait out the file transfer to the device, I have no doubt that you will love the Magnet 3.0 because the read performance is more than enough.
MSRP of the 16GB Leef Magnet 3.0 comes in at $14.99 with a five-year warranty. Current market pricing can be found below.
PRICING: You can find the 16GB Leef Magnet 3.0 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The 16GB Leef Magnet 3.0 retails for $16.99 at Amazon.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- THQ Nordic grabs Biomutant game rights and developer
- EA: Live services are a predictable, evolving business
- Vivendi postpones Ubisoft takeover
- Battlegrounds' desert map shown off in 3 new screenshots
- Tesla's new electric semi is the future of trucks
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- need advice for replacing 4 washable air filter for my pc-b25s
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ