It's been a while since we looked at Samsung's 2.5" 840 EVO drives. On launch day, we tested the 750GB and the 250GB. This went dark after that, until the mSATA drives arrived. With so many different capacity sizes available, we felt as if we only covered part of the story. Today, we're circling back and filling in one of the gaps with the 512GB class model.
If you didn't know already, the Samsung 840 EVO drives are selling like crazy. Depending on which report you read, Samsung has a large chunk of the consumer SSD market share. In some countries, one out of every two consumer SSDs sold is from Samsung. There is a good reason for that. Despite the initial fears, TLC flash (at least the TLC that Samsung is building), has endurance that is better than first expected.
The flash is low cost, and thus Samsung's TLC based drives are also low cost. The 500GB model we're looking at today is down to around $300, a magic price point for CPUs, motherboards, and other components like SSDs.
We covered Samsung's MEX controller, Turbo Write, and Rapid Mode cache in an introduction article last July. If you would like to learn more about the underlying technology, start here.
We're diving right into this review with a brief follow up on the technology on the next page.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mortal Kombat 11 DLC leaked: Joker, Terminator, Spawn & more
- Mortal Kombat 11 official chilling 'Frost' gameplay trailer
- The next-gen Xbox will be even more powerful than the PS5
- PlayStation 5 rumor: $399 price with AMD Zen 2 and Navi tech
- Sony's huge 98-inch 8K TV costs $70,000, perfect for PS5
- Tesla Breaks Up With NVIDIA, Announces New Self-Driving Chip
- Intel Optane Memory H10 Hybrid SSD Preview
- What would work best for a 24/7 server type computer?
- Intel Optane Memory H10 Hybrid SSD Review
- How to booking a escort via internet
- SportDOG Brand YardTrainer 100 is the Affordable Tool for Basic Obedience Training
- Smartphones Could Cost You 40% More if You Don't Compare Prices
- LG SIGNATURE Presents Exquisite Art Installation At Milan Design Week 2019
- Purchasing Greeting Cards Just Got A Whole Lot Easier With The Card Isle Print-at-Home Platform
- TCL Communication launches its first Alcatel-branded smartphone on Verizon Wireless with the introduction of the Alcatel AVALON V